Need Urgent Help regarding FORM

owaisrauf Level 1
      Dear Friends, Need urgent help

Ok now i have Page
      I have put FORM
      I get a Dotted line Box, And have Put Text and Text Box inside it
      I have now put SUBMIT and RESET BUTTON
      Now how can we do like

A person Clicks SUBMIT, and then it gets send to my E-mail Address, And then the users sees a page, Thank You

Also, how can we do like, Sometimes a Client misses a Text box, so how can we set, that a Certain Text box is Essential to be filled

Advice ASAP PLease

Thank You Alot
        • 1. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
          owaisrauf Level 1
          Can Someone please Advice,
          I really need a little help. I have created the form. Just want to know few things as mentioned above

thx
          • 2. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
            pwedding
            You'll need to attach either a script such (such as CGI, PHP, or Perl) to the form tag that will tell the browser to call upon it when the user clicks submit. What you woud have to use depends on what the hosting server that your site resides on can handle. Different hosting services have different package options that you can choose from. Usually packages that have CGi or other scripting option included cost a little bit more than packages that do not. Find out from your hosting server administer what kind of options you have. You can also, though I very highly do NOT reccommend it, insert the following into the action feild of the form tag:

mailto: (youremail@address.com)

I do not reccomend this for a couple reasons:
            If the client browsing your site does not have a third-party email app (such as Mail, Thunderbird, Entourage, etc...) installed on their computer, this option will not work, because the mailto action tells the browser to open their mail application to send the message. The second reason is that is is not entirely reliable. The reason i have told you this option is if you need to use it as a last resort.

If you have the ability to place a CGI script on your hosting server for your form to call upon, there are many free solutions if you know nothing about CGI or Perl scripting. The majority of the are downloaded from the internet (typing "formmail" into Google should give you some fair results), but sometimes the hosting server has a specific one they require you to use. Most of the FormMail CGI scripts that I have found require a little bit of tweaking (specifying the email it sends the message to , etc...) in order to function properly. If this is the option yo choose, ask your hosting server admin how to install the script on they're server. Usually, it goes in a folder in the root directory of your site called "cgi_bin".
            • 3. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
              pwedding Level 1
              "Also, how can we do like, Sometimes a Client misses a Text box, so how can we set, that a Certain Text box is Essential to be filled"

The way I would suggest to do this is by using the behaviors in Dreamweaver. If yo u can't see them already, go to Window > Behaviors. Click on the for tag that you are applying the validation to (the one the fields reside in), and add a new behavior. To do this, go to the behaviors panel (with the form tag still selected), and click on the little plus sign at the top. A pop-up menu will appear, choose Validate Form (towards the bottom). A dialog box appears, which is where you will tell it which feild you want to be required. Select the field that you would like to be required from the Named Feilds box. For Value, select the Required checkbox (if it is not already). You will see that there are additional validation parameters you can set below this (email address, number, etc...). Once you have set the validation parameters, click on OK. The new behavior will appear n the behaviors panel. Make sure that the event trigger is set to onClick.
              • 4. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                Level 7
                Here are some formmail tutorials and info -

http://people.unt.edu/jhinuk/Form_FAQ.htm
                http://www.proformica.com/formmail-tutorial.shtml

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                ==================

"owaisrauf" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:eb666c$6rp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Dear Friends, Need urgent help
                >
                > Ok now i have Page
                > I have put FORM
                > I get a Dotted line Box, And have Put Text and Text Box inside it
                > I have now put SUBMIT and RESET BUTTON
                > Now how can we do like
                >
                > A person Clicks SUBMIT, and then it gets send to my E-mail Address, And
                > then
                > the users sees a page, Thank You
                >
                > Also, how can we do like, Sometimes a Client misses a Text box, so how can
                > we
                > set, that a Certain Text box is Essential to be filled
                >
                > Advice ASAP PLease
                >
                > Thank You Alot
                >

• 5. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                  owaisrauf Level 1
                  Hye
                  Where do i put this
                  <form method=post action="mailto:you@somewhere.com" enctype="text/plain">
                  . . . (form data goes here) . . .
                  </form>

I have created a Form, in Dreamweaver.
                  And all the text fields are inside the FORM (Inside the dotted black line)

And have put the Submit and Reset Buttom

Where shall i put the Above coding

Advice
                  Owais
                  • 6. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                    owaisrauf Level 1
                    Please Advice
                    • 7. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                      bregent Most Valuable Participant
                      >Please Advice

The advice you were given was to not use mailto - it is extremely unreliable. If you inisist on ignoring this advice, then use the code in question to define your form.
                      • 8. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                        owaisrauf Level 1
                        So its better to use CGI Script?
                        • 9. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                          >So its better to use CGI Script?

Any script, not necessarily cgi. You could use php, asp, cf, etc...
                          • 10. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                            owaisrauf Level 1
                            do u know any site, or so which will give me more information.
                            do u use msn or something, so i can chat with u?
                            cause i really need to complete the form, and i really need ur help please.
                            • 11. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                              owaisrauf Level 1
                              this scripts, i can put in the same html page yes? where i will create forum.
                              advice
                              • 12. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                                owaisrauf Level 1
                                Advice please
                                • 13. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                                  >this scripts, i can put in the same html page yes? where i will create forum.

You could, but most folks will create a seperate page to handle the form processing. At this point your best bet is to contact your host and ask them what form processing script they have available for your plan. Most hosts will have something for you.
                                  • 14. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                                    owaisrauf Level 1
                                    I was just trying
                                    I highlited the Whole Form.
                                    And then in Properties section

There was ACTION
                                    METHOD

In action i put my E-mail Address
                                    Method POST

Now i save it, And then I go and check preview, input all things in text boxes
                                    And click Submit, then it doesnt work

This CGI sutf looks little confusing, sorry for that.
                                    But please advice on the Above. thx.

Honestly, you guys are really Helpful. I shall really Appreciate all the people and Moderators, who are helping people, Adobe should be very Happy to have you guys.

Can you advice,

thx
                                    • 15. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                                      owaisrauf Level 1
                                      Yes i did,
                                      But they are kinda tough.
                                      Please advice from that link, which Mail Script shall i use, so i try.

I tried highliting full form, to see if it works, can you advice if something on that can be worked?
                                      • 16. Re: Need Urgent Help regarding FORM
                                        owaisrauf Level 1
                                        They Support

CGI, PHP, and MySQL Support
                                        There aint any pre installed script

Advice please.