8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 7:01 AM by pacman110 RSS

"No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail

pacman110 Community Member

I filtered my photo collection for images of a particular person. The result was 2 images of the person concerned, both tagged correctly, and over 100 images of a totally unrelated event with no metadata or tags relating to the person I had searched/filtered for. The thumbnails of these images were marked with a tiny "No Parking" symbol at the upper right of the thumbnail. What does this symbol mean ?

• 1. Re: "No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail
          photodrawken Community Member

It means the items do not match.  Use the "Options" dropdown near the top of the screen to "Hide items that do not match".

Ken

• 2. Re: "No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail

Thank you for this answer. This behaviour of the Organizer defies (my) logic. Why on earth does the Organizer show me items that do not match my tag selection ? The point of tagging and selecting images by tag should be to allow filtering of the images in the database and suppress items that do not match without my having to additionally select "Hide items that do not match"  as an Option. Or have I misunderstood something here ?

Paddy

P.S  When I click on Options it shows me "Show results that do not match (9261)". When I click on that the unwanted thumbnails that do not match disappear, i.e. exactly the opposite of what the menu option promises. If I then click on "Hide results that do not match (9261)" it shows me the thumbnails that do not match. The toggle seems to be working in a sense opposite to the correct/expected one. P.

• 3. Re: "No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail

Yeah, the behaviour is different if you do a "fuzzy" search (face recognition, or finding files by "Visual Search") or if you do a more precise search like specifice (written) keywords.

The "fuzzy" search algorithm is by no means perfect, so it makes sense that Organizer would also show you the results that are sort of close....

Added:

Oops...that "Visual Search" I mentioned was introduced with PSE10.  That Show/Hide toggle behaviour you mention might have been something corrected with PSE10, but I've seen no documentation of that.  Have you applied the 9.0.3 patch to your PSE9?

Ken

Message was edited by: photodrawken to add comment.

• 4. Re: "No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail

Thanks again. Yes, it's 9.0.3.

The search I attempted was very specific in that I have tagged all my images and I searched for specific images by double-clicking on the tag on the right of the Organizer screen. I wasn't attempting anything fuzzy or otherwise smart.

Paddy

• 5. Re: "No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail

OK, I re-read your description of the Show/Hide behaviour and what you're noticing is just a confusion about terminology.  When you click on the Options and see "Show results that do not match", you're seeing the currently applied filter.  Therefore, when you click on "Show results that do not match", you're changing it to its opposite -- hide results that do not match.  Clear as mud?

Ken

• 6. Re: "No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail

Aaah ! Got it. So, since computer menu items conventionally show the action that will be executed if the user clicks on that item or show a tick box next to an item like this that can be toggled, the problem here is that the menu item is counterintuitively designed (in the Windows and Linux worlds that I work in). It simply needs a tick box next to it as in this example from my browser options.Firefox browser options.JPG

Thanks again.

Paddy

• 7. Re: "No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail

Hi Paddy,

I agree.

I'm learning that there's the right way, the wrong way, and the Adobe way....

Ken

• 8. Re: "No Parking" symbol in elements 9 Organizer thumbnail

To come back to the original problem, with "Hide results that do not match" set I still get large numbers of thumbnails that do not match the tag I'm filtering for.

I cannot find anything which would explain these mis-hits apart from the fact that they are photos taken around the same time. I've fiddled with the 'Options/Hide best match' criteria without success.

How can I force the PSE9 organizer to simply show me the photos tagged with the tag I check ?

Paddy