Wanted to update this issue as I've managed to discover the problem, and I hope this will help anyone else getting stuck in this situation.
Basically the issue was network related. The "Movie not loaded" error I was receiving was clearly not a problem due to the activex or plugin portions of the Flash player. I verified that the system was loading theflash player properly and then went to check on the firewall, having seen some additional information in a thread about checking firewalls.
I have a very basic firewall setup:
- linksys wrt54gl (tomato firmware)
- Windows 2008 R2 server (media/backup)
- 3-Win7 clients and 1 XP client (mostly unused)
The firewall had a rule on it to block some flash games on facebook, but it had been adjusted to stop all flash file services to clients. I had put in the initial rule to block based on host masks, but the rule also had a checkbox for blocking flash files which was stopping everything at the router.
So there you have it. I'd definitely look at the networking side if you are receiving this error. It maybe the most likely cause of the problem.
This computer has two different versions of Flash Player for Internet Explorer and two different versions of Flash Player for other browsers.
A clean install is recommended:
- Download the current 32 bit uninstaller
- Close all browser windows and run the uninstaller
- Restart Windows
- Delete all remaining files and folders located in the following directories. (tip: copy and paste these paths into the path bar in an Explorer window)
- %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
- %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player
- Verify that the file “FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl” in C:\Window\system32\ for 32 bit systems has been deleted.
- Download the following installer files:
Physically disconnect from the Internet and run the installers.