3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2012 6:07 AM by Marian Driscoll

Optimizing PDF Files

chris_cusson Level 1

I'm having trouble saving a text/image PSD as a PDF file, while keeping it within the correct file size limit. This file needs to be e-mailed and uploaded onto different websites and I'd like to keep it under 100 KB.

The current size of the document is 8.5x11 in (2550x3000 px) at 300 dpi. I'd like to save it as close to the original size and quality as possible and all the text must be easily legible. I've tried flattening the image, changing the resolution and size, but nothing seems to work. I'm just looking for some help on the different options I have, when saving it as a PDF.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm on a deadline.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Optimizing PDF Files
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you try zipping the file?

If you have acrobat pro, you can adjust the quality better than you can from the pdf settings of photoshop.

Another option is to send the pdf to a server and send the link via email.

Also when creating a document for this purpose, your better off using as much vector graphics as possible ver. normal raster tools. As the file size is much, much smaller. So Text tool, pen tool, shapes, paths, etc are your friend for this type of work. Not to mention you don't have to worry about pixel size, or the ppi, just the page size. Because vectors are nothing more than mathmatics and are therefore resolution independant.

• 2. Re: Optimizing PDF Files
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Like Silkrooster said, vectors (and type) can be useful.

Is the psd CMYK or RGB?

What settings do you use when creating the pdf?

Could you post a screenshot?

Expecting any considerable quality when compressing a 2550px x 3000px image to under 100kB might be a bit ill-advised …

• 3. Re: Optimizing PDF Files
              Level 5

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

...Expecting any considerable quality when compressing a 2550px x 3000px image to under 100kB might be a bit ill-advised …

You would not likely be able to get anything more than a blank, white image of that size at 100kb.

Not even Acrobat Pro will help here.

This task seems silly. What web sites require PDF files be less than 100kb? Some ordinary web graphics (PNG/GIF/JPG) might exceed that size.