12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 9:21 PM by SG... RSS

Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?

Ryadia™ Community Member

The further I get into enjoying this new version the more confussed I get. I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit with 16 gig of RAM. CS6 has installed itself as a 32 bit program. It uses some of my old and very useful 32 bit plugins but seems to be able to use memory like a 64 bit application. Can someone explain this to me please? My real concern is that a few of my 64 bit Plugins won't install a 32 bit version in CS6. Some of them won't even recognise CS6 as a destination for plugins. I'll address this with the Plugin maker but I'd really like to know if CS6 is going to be a 32 bit only version.

Doug

• 1. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

On Windows, it is a 32 and 64 bit application -- both get installed by default.

On MacOS, it is 64 bit only.

• 2. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
            Ryadia™ Community Member

That's what I thought after reading the install summary on labs. Funny thing is, its only installed in the 32 bit folder. I asked because when I load a very large document and proceed to add other large images to it, I occasionally get an "out of RAM' Message. This doesn't happen with CS5 but CS5 doesn't give me access to my old plugins unless I switch to 32 bit mode a real hassle.

I'll download a fresh copy and try the install again. If it still only installs in 32 bit mode, I think I'll file a bug report.

Doug

• 3. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
              Noel Carboni Community Member

Where are you looking, specifically, for the 64 bit software?

Photoshop CS6 is not going to behave any differently regarding access to 32 bit plug-ins.  A 32 bit app can only call functions in a 32 bit DLL (a plug-in is a special kind of DLL).  A 64 bit app can only call functions in a 64 bit DLL.  Thus a plug-in has to be specifically made for whatever bitnesses of Photoshop the author wants it to run with.  Old plug-ins, built in the time before Photoshop CS4, were necessarily 32 bit because there was no 64 bit Photoshop before Photoshop CS4.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
                Ryadia™ Community Member

I recognise that Noel. What I'm concerned about is that downloading and installing CS6 from Labs, created only a single 32 bit installation. I thought (hoped) for a moment that Adobe had performed the impossible and produced a 32 bit application that used memory like a 64 bit one. My concern will be answered in few minutes. I've just downloaded a fresh copy of CS6. When it installs, I'll get back about it. Hopefully this time I'll get a 64 bit installation too!

Doug

• 5. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?

Watch the dialogs carefully.

You are looking for it in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)" right?

-Noel

• 6. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
                    Ryadia™ Community Member

Yes Noel... Programs means 64 programs ...Programs(x86) is where 32 bit applications go... by default. 

I've found the problem is in translation of Adobe speak to my English... Even though they are both forms of English. If instructions say: "By default ... Installs both 64 bit and 32 bit..." I read that to  mean press all the OK or NEXT keys and it does a default install of both versions.

By default only 32 bit is ticked in the initial install screen. I have no idea what default means in Adobe speak but from my interpretation of the statement, saying "by default" in the context of 64 and 32 bit is misleading. I intervened in the installation and ticked the 64 bit box. Both 32 and 64 bit version are currently being installed on another workstation. Something I didn't want to do just to evaluate software. I'll uninstall it shortly and try a reinstall on the machine I'm doing the evaluation on.

Doug

• 7. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
                      Chris Cox Adobe Employee

If you just press OK and Next, the installer installs both 32 and 64 bit.

You have to install to a 32 bit OS, or specifically disable the 64 bit install to only end up with a 32 bit app.

• 8. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?

What Chris is saying, Doug, is that it's supposed to work the way you expected.  That it didn't says you accidentally unchecked it or that there's an installer bug.

For what it's worth, I've installed the Photoshop CS6 beta twice on two different Windows systems (Windows 8 x64 and Windows 7 x64) and in both cases both 32 and 64 bit applications were installed without any special choices by me.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
                          Ryadia™ Community Member

Yes Noel...

When I reported faults in a new camera I bought, I was told It was my fault too. That was 20 frames (in the showroom)  before the camera died from a faulty sensor.

When I reported only the 32 bit version being installed during a "default" installation, it doesn't help matters for Chris or anyone else to tell me to do it again and it won't happen because it did and does. I've encountered a repeatable problem during a "default" installation. I've just had my PA send the fault logs to  Ashutosh.Nigam.

Doug

• 10. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
                            Pattie F Adobe Employee

Hi Doug.

Are there any outstanding questions on this issue that we need to answer for this thread?

In case there is any question as to what the answer was, for Mac Photoshop CS6 is 64 bit only. For PC both 32 and 64 bit are offered.

Not all plugins that work on 32 bit work on 64 bit and you must be sure to install them in the right place and not point to old CS5 folders.

Thanks,

Pattie

• 11. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
                              Ryadia™ Community Member

The only outstanding issue is that Photoshop CS6 - after following your suggestion to download a freash copy, still will not install the 64 bit version. I've sent the log files to a person at Adobe who asked for them and attempted a fourth install after removing all the malware and anti virus protection on the PC and still it fails the installation.

I guess eventually I'll discover what the problem is. I'm fairly sure its something to do with Windows 7 64bit because another application (Jalbum) failed to allow access to their servers (using their program) several months ago. Photoshop and Jalbum are the only applications to fail installation. Lightroom 4, 64 bit, inDesign and many other applications all install and run with no drama. There is nothing more I can do or provide you. I've sent the logs, the machine statistics and an accurate description of what occurs. If the final fails to install too, maybe we'll look at other software for our needs. Changing PC or even upgrading them so soon after replacing them is not going to happen. Until someone can provide some answers, CS6 Beta will remain unusable to us.

Margie

PA to Doug.

• 12. Re: Is CS6 Photoshop a 64 bit or 32 bit Application?
                                SG... Adobe Employee

Hi Margie,

Hopefully things get sorted out with the install on that machine and the default install works as expected. What about manual intevertion to check on the 64-bit version makes this unusable for you? It sounded like Doug's post #6 had a viable and reasonable workaround for the Ps CS6 Beta.

regards,

steve