5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2012 8:25 AM by the_wine_snob

White Screen when Video Plays

timr1231

I am using Premiere Elements 9 software.  When i add clips to the timeline and hit play, the video does not play in playback screen, instead i just get a white screen.  Once i hit the puase button, the picture of the frame the playerhead is on goes back onto the screeen, but as soon as i hit the play button, the screen turns white again.  I have updated my graphics card drivers and the prject settings are correct.  What is causeing the issue?

This is what i get when i hit the play button:

screen.jpg

tim

• 1. Re: White Screen when Video Plays
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is the make/model of your video card/chip?

What is the number/date of the installed video driver?

The "white screen" is "classical" for a video driver issue, though other factors can come into play.

Also, can you tell us what camcorder produced the files, and what Project Preset you choose, at New Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: White Screen when Video Plays
            timr1231 Level 1

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430

Date: 3/13/12

Camera: Canon 7D 1080p @30fps (the files match the project settings)

Thanks for the reply!

tim

• 3. Re: White Screen when Video Plays
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that info. You have got a pretty recent (did not check, but that might be the latest) video driver. I sort of expected to see a date about 6 - 8 mos. ago. If there IS a newer driver, I would definitely try that. Also, as over the years, both nVidia and ATI/AMD have issued drivers, that were just bad with Adobe programs, I keep older (known good) drivers on my HDD, just in case I have to roll-back.

Do you have a Dell, HP, Lenovo or Toshiba computer? The reason that I ask is that those companies very often re-wrap the nVidia (and ATI/AMD) drivers, to work with their tweaked hardware.

With the latest video driver, and that Canon footage, if you have the proper Project Preset, things should edit fine. The smoothness of editing/playback will be heavily dependent on your CPU's speed, but should not affect the display.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: White Screen when Video Plays
                timr1231 Level 1

The video card was purchased and put into my Dell computer well after the original computer was bought.  I have a somewhat powerful comoputer and good graphics card which is why i dont understand why the video wont play back.

tim

• 5. Re: White Screen when Video Plays
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that driver (I plugged in Win7-32 bit OS), is the latest one shown (296.10 WHQL) on the nVidia Web site.

I would open the nVidia console, and see if there is a setting, that might be interferring with its performance. Look for things like 3D acceleration, Stereo-Vision, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt