18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2017 11:18 AM by davids65

Help: Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use

NjuJorka

I really need some serious help -- can't open my Indesign file. It says "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application." Been working all weekend to finish this project and I just don't know what to do now.

Here's the chronology of events:

1. I saved my document last night, but left the document open in Indesign and the computer on when I went to take a nap. When I Indesign crashed.

2. At reboot, when I tried to open the file (which is in an external drive), it prompted me with the recovery dialog box, with choices of recovering the data or document now, later or discarding the recovery. I chose none and just "x" the dialog box. I thought if I did that, it will open the file anyway. But no, it didn't.

3. I shut down that computer (I was working with CS4 in Windows 7 where this all happened. That Windows 7 is in Macbook with dual boot - OSX and bootcamp with Windows 7. )

4. I tried to open the file this time from my other Windows computer, but all it says is "Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application."

I'm thinking the problem has got to do with my not dealing with the document recovery right after the software crashed. I'd like to know if there's any way for me to get that recovery or at least use/open the file that I have?

Please help and thanks in advance.