6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2006 11:15 AM by ntsiii

Flex Builder limitations

rmorgan Level 1
      Hi, I initially posted this question to the adobe presales team, but I guess they dont want to sell the product because I have had no reply in 2 weeks. Anyways, I am considering purchasing FB2 because I use flash forms extensively in CF, but I ran into what I feel as limitations of CF flash forms. My biggest question is can FB 2 access databases as 'easilly' as CFFF? I played around with the demo, although not extensively and it seems to be able take care of the problem I was having with CFFF. I also ran into something when creating a cf project, it has been awhile, but it gave an error message something to the affect of no CF server was found. For all intents and purposes, why would I need Flex, when I could just get Flex Builder, what is the difference? Other than Flex being the server app like CF is, and FB being what DW is? TIA.
        • 1. Re: Flex Builder limitations
          ntsiii Level 3
          Either I am misunderstanding your question, or you are a bit confused.

"Flex" means the Flex framework, all the classes that must or can be used to build an app. It is not a "server app like CF". Flex 1.5 was, but not 2.0. It is free, there is nothing to buy, and it is all that is needed to build a Flex application.

Flex Builder is the development environment, just a fancy code editor, with compilation and project organization tools and the like. It makes building Flex apps MUCH easier. It costs around $700.

Flex does not access databases directly at all (well, I suppose it could hit SQL Server's http functionality directly). Flex only communicates with the outside world via the RPC data services (WebService, HTTPService, RemoteOBject).

Flex Data Services (FDS) is a server based application that enhances Flex's data access by adding things like "push" and paging. It costs, $6000 - $20,000.

I don'd do CF so I can't help with that comparison.

Tracy
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder limitations
            rmorgan Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: ntsiii
            Either I am misunderstanding your question, or you are a bit confused.

"Flex" means the Flex framework, all the classes that must or can be used to build an app. It is not a "server app like CF". Flex 1.5 was, but not 2.0. It is free, there is nothing to buy, and it is all that is needed to build a Flex application.

I was somewhat confused, between 1.5 and 2.0, I am straight now.

Flex does not access databases directly at all (well, I suppose it could hit SQL Server's http functionality directly). Flex only communicates with the outside world via the RPC data services (WebService, HTTPService, RemoteOBject).

How would I go about accessing DB's? MySQL specifically.

Flex Data Services (FDS) is a server based application that enhances Flex's data access by adding things like "push" and paging. It costs, $6000 - $20,000.

Is this how I access DB's?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Flex Builder limitations
              Iceborer Level 1
              Flex talks to CF, CF talks to your databases. You might try reading throgh the articles at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/flex_cf.html

Good luck!
              • 4. Re: Flex Builder limitations
                GeorgeWS Level 1
                I have been using cfforms Flash for a long time. Its very easy. I am trying to move to Flex 2.0 and it is very very very very very difficult, Im only moving to Flex due to the cfforms limitations. Samples are clogged with extra junk and ZERO docs except online, where few examples work. the tags are simpler but you pretty much need to know Action Script 3.0 down pat to do anything. I am sticking with Flex though I am very disappointed in the connectivity between CF and Flex. Good Luck
                • 5. Re: Flex Builder limitations
                  rmorgan Level 1
                  Thanks, one last question. In what instances would I need FDS?
                  • 6. Re: Flex Builder limitations
                    ntsiii Level 3
                    I am not a FDS user, but a couple powerful features are data "push", where a change to data on the server will be automatically pushed out to any subscribing clients. This replaces the polling or tcp socket connections that are necessary without FDS, if you want client to automatically update, without user action.

Also, FDS has built in support for paging large datasets. No Flash component performs well with thousands of rows of data. FDS allows pages to be loaded on demand.

Tracy