4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 8:03 AM by jimkahnw

ACR doesn't retain settings

jimkahnw Level 1

I'm using Photoshop CS5.1 on Mac OS Leopard. I adjust TIF and JPG files in ACR. Occasionally, the adjustments will be lost after opening in Photoshop. This doesn't happen with every file and sometimes after two or three tries the settings will be saved when they were lost the first time. Is there a way to assure adjustments will always be saved? Thanks.

• 1. Re: ACR doesn't retain settings
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Do you have a repeatable, reproducible case?  e.g., a specific file where the adjustments don't get saved?

• 2. Re: ACR doesn't retain settings
            jimkahnw Level 1

No, unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem. It occurs ramdonly. I can work on a file and open it in PS and then reopen the file in ACR and the adjustments are default. I can work on the file again, open in PS and reopen in ACR and the second time the adjustments are saved. I'm running OS 10.5.8 and scheduled for an upgrade to Lion, soon. Will that solve the problem?

• 3. Re: ACR doesn't retain settings
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

This doesn't sound like an OS problem.  So I don't think upgrading to Lion will change anything with regards to this. 

That said, I'm a little confused by your steps.  You say you open the file in Ps, then re-open the file in ACR.  Which file are you opening?  If you open a raw file into Ps, this creates a new unsaved document.  If you save that new document and open that in ACR, the adjustments are already "baked in" by that point and you should expect the settings to be default ...

Eric

• 4. Re: ACR doesn't retain settings
                jimkahnw Level 1

Sorry about the confusion.

I work with JPGs and TIFs, preparing images for offset printing, sourced from stock agencies and individual photographers. I seldom work with RAW files. I really like the tools offered in ARC for adjustments because they are none destructive if I have to return to the source image for additional corrections. As I've stated above, I  make the corrections in ARC, open in Photoshop to continue my image prep. Occasionally, when I return to the source file in ARC, the adjustments are gone. I make them again and open in Photoshop. Sometimes the adjustments are saved the second time and sometimes not. So, I'm not sure what the problem may be. Hence, my post here...