8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2018 5:41 AM by RustyAutoNation

Which "Optimize Memory For" setting is best ?

milkmade Level 1

I don't understand this..Or I think I've used it wrong..please help?

By default, Premiere Pro renders video using the maximum number of available processors, up to 16. However, some sequences, such as those containing high-resolution source video or still images, require large amounts of memory for the simultaneous rendering of multiple frames. These sequences can force Premiere Pro to cancel rendering and to give a Low Memory Warning alert. In these cases, you can maximize the available memory by changing the rendering optimization preference from Performance to Memory. Change this preference back to Performance when rendering no longer requires memory optimization.

1. Select Edit > Preferences, and select Memory in the Preferences dialog box.
      2. In the drop-down list next to Optimize Rendering For, select Memory.
      3. Click OK, close Premiere Pro, and reopen the project for the new preference to take effect.

Does setting to MEMORY only benefit lower end systems with bottlenecks, or do you use this settting on higher end machines too?

I've always had mine set to MEMORY because I thought it would make better use of the memory. Now I have a higher end machine with 16GB of ram. And I just read a thread where someone said set it to peroformance if you want to see more CPU/RAM utilization..so now I'm confused.... Do I set it to PERFORMANCE or MEMORY w/ 16GB of ram (core i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz)? Also if you could explain why. Thanks!