1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 5:58 PM by David__B

CMYK value "very" different look

pitschreck

I hope somebody here has an answer for me in this matter, because i am close to getting crazy.

I always use AdobeKULER for getting the values of RGB, CMYK and HEX for my logo designs made in AI.

Usually, i design a Logo in RGB first and convert it then as well into CMYK colors, using the values i get with KULER.

The CMYK color version of a design when viewed on my monitor normally look lighter (less dark) than the RGB version, but this time it is much darker.

I am trying to figure out where the problem is, but till yet i found no solution.

The RGB value in question is:   0  216  235

The CMYK value KULER shows is:  100  8  0  8

really hope, somebody can help me with this.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

• 1. Re: CMYK value "very" different look
          David__B Adobe Employee

Hey Peter,

Here are thoughts, so I created a new swatch in Illustrator CS5 with the RGB values of 0 216 235 in an RGB document and then converted that document to CMYK. The resulting CMYK values ended up being 61 0 13 0 versus the 100 8 0 8 which Kuler showed. So this tells me that the RGB conversions on the Kuler webpage use a different formula for doing the conversion versus what is done in Illustrator. Based on my experience, its not uncommon to see color shifts for colors which look slightly darker or washed out with this kind of conversion, because of the differences in gamuts between the two color spaces. For colors that fall outside of the gamut of one space, the closest equivilent in the other may vary based on the formula used. Different conversions aim for accuracy in different ways, closest match for tonal value, closest match for saturation, etc.

see sRGB versus CMYK in the following image

http://www.waleedsgallery.biz/_forumuploads/colorspaces.gif

I guess the question I would have for you is what are you doing with the logos you create, are they used for webpages, commercial printing or both? I would probably start with the color space related related to your output and be aware that shifts with conversions are expected. If you are printing these yourself on a home printer just working in RGB and letting the printer driver do the conversion often gives good results as the driver knows the specifics of that piece of hardware and its capabilities.

Hope that helps,

-Dave