3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 8:23 AM by ET160

Pagination Problem

ET160

I have a pagination problem with an InDesign project that I'm working on, and I was wondering whether anyone had any insight into how to correct it.  It seems to be related to the transferring of a Microsoft Word document when everything was set up.  In the Word document that was transferred over, there were two document sections, a preface with Roman numerals and then a main section that followed.  In my InDesign document there are two sections, but they start 1,2,3,4... and then 1,2,3,4... again.  Ideally I would like to get rid of the two sections altogether and just have one and one pagination all the way through, but I have found no way to do this.  The pagibation also  doesn't start where I want, but I don't know how this might be reset.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Pagination Problem
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Select the page on which the secong pagination starts in the pages panel.,

Go to pages panel flyout menu and cleck "Numbering and section options"

in the dialog box , Uncheck "Start section" , and then click ok ...and check

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pagination Problem
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In the Pages panel you'll see a little black triangle over the icon for the first page of the document, and a second triangle over the second page marked as page 1. These are section start markers. If you right-click on a section start page and choose Section And Numbering Options you'll see the controls for setting a starting number, the numbering style and whether or not a new section should start on that page (the first page in a file is always a section start). You can elimate the section you don't want by unchecking the "Start Section" box. You can also start a new section and start the numbering with the number of your choice by opening the same dialog on the page where you want the section to start.

ID complains about duplicate numbering, so if you have multiple sections and you satrt with page 1 somewhere after the first page of the file you should go back to the first page and change the style of the numbering so it doesn't conflict -- roman numerals or letters, or something. Also, by convention and long standing tradition, in countries where people read left to right odd numbered pages are always on the right of the spine on a facing pages spread, and evens on the left. ID respects this and will shuffle pages to arrange them in that way unless you disable page shuffling. Better to add a blank page, though, to keep your readers happy.

• 3. Re: Pagination Problem
              ET160 Level 1

Manish and Peter,

Thanks for your replies.  Problem solved!