13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 1:30 PM by DanMilham RSS

My Bridge Crashes

DanMilham Community Member

On my 2008 iMac running OS Lion Bridge CS6 will crash when I try to change the view, i.e. ascending to descending. Anyone else see this or know of a solution?

• 1. Re: My Bridge Crashes
          Curt Y Community Member

What video card are you using?

• 2. Re: My Bridge Crashes

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS

• 3. Re: My Bridge Crashes
              Omke Oudeman Community Member

On my 2008 iMac running OS Lion Bridge CS6 will crash when I try to change the view

According to some specs I found your graphic card has 512 MB VRAM, is that correct on your system?

How much RAM have you installed and do you have the latest OS (10.7.3)?

Did you already tried to restart Bridge holding down option key and reset preferences?

How much free space is left on your start up disk?

• 4. Re: My Bridge Crashes

VRAM is 512 mb, free space on startup is 187 gb, 4 gb or RAM , max possible, I will now try the restart with option key pressed to reset preferences. Thanks.

• 5. Re: My Bridge Crashes

Just tried restart with preferences reset and crash still happens each time I try to change the view. ?!?

• 6. Re: My Bridge Crashes

Just tried restart with preferences reset and crash happens each time I try to change the view. ?!?

Also try a purge cache for folder using the menu Tools/ cache/ purge cache for folder.

And look at the bug report on the Adobe Lab site, you are using a beta version...

But in general this is not a common problem and more likely due to your install. Maybe deactivate, official uninstall and reinstall (even new download for beta CS6) might also help you.

• 7. Re: My Bridge Crashes

Will try all. Thanks very much.

• 8. Re: My Bridge Crashes
                        Curt Y Community Member

Did this same setup work before, or has it always crashed?

• 9. Re: My Bridge Crashes

This problem has only occured with Bridge CS6 beta. Always worked in CS5. I'll have to try the install again. My real wonder is that this may be a bug but if no one else has seen it the install may be the culprit.

• 10. Re: My Bridge Crashes
                            Curt Y Community Member

Not an expert here, but your machine is probably just too old.  With each new software version it seems like it takes more horsepower.

With only 4 gigs of ram  you are handicaped. 

If you are interested in utilizing all of the features of CS5 and CS6 seems like a 64 bit platform, a fast video card, and minimium of 6-8 gigs of ram is required.

• 11. Re: My Bridge Crashes

I fear you are correct. Much as I hope to get a newer iMac this year it isn't aquired for pocket change. Thanks, Curt, for your attention.

• 12. Re: My Bridge Crashes

I fear you are correct. Much as I hope to get a newer iMac this year it isn't aquired for pocket change.

I have to disagree on your Mac being to old. Your Mac is still fairly young (just or not even 4 full years!!) and does meet the minimum requirements (multicore intel, 1 GB RAM and 512 MB VRAM and to my knowledge the 8800 GS does support OpenGL)

Curt is right that wanting to profit from all options you could do with more RAM (believe 6 GB is Max for your iMac) and graphic cards don't last forever so investing in a new one together with an extra 2 GB Ram should bring you back to speed.

But did you try PS already and are you able to use Open GL (look under the preferences performance tab to see if it is selected).

And I still think there is something different causing your problem, have you tried to point to another folder, was that possible and successful?

• 13. Re: My Bridge Crashes

Thank you, Omke. Every effort I've made to find a way to add RAM to my iMac has proven futile. 4 GB is the maximum possible. I will go in to my PS preferences and try selecting the open GL.