4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 12:06 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

Title glow?

JPete617

Is there a way to create a glow or cloud behind title text?  This is similar to a drop shadow, but on all sides of the letters.  I see effects like that in the text styles, but I cannot create it myself.  I like to use this kind of effect when titling over a clutter backdrop.

• 1. Re: Title glow?
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

This is one of the effects I show you how to do in my "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips" book for Premiere Elements! You can see a sample of how it turned out here, listed as Trick #50.

http://Muvipix.com/CoolTricks

The process is a bit too elaborate to explain on this forum. But basically I had my title on video video track and, on the video track below it, I had a copy of the title with some blur and light effects applied.

If you watch the sample of the effect, afterward you can see a brief tutorial explaining how it was done.

• 2. Re: Title glow?
            JPete617 Community Member

Wow, that is very cool indeed, but is far more elaborate than what I want to do.  I simply want to create my own style that will have a halo or cloud behind the letters.  As I said, there are some preloaded text styles that have this effect.  I'm using PE 10 and the second line right has a text style called "CaslonPro Slant blue70" that does pretty much what I want.  I've used Corel Video Studio quite a bit, and this is easy to do with that program.

• 3. Re: Title glow?
              JPete617 Community Member

Just playing around with this, I can more or less achieve what I'm looking for by making a separate title on another track, which just has a rounded rectangle sized and located to fit behind the text, then apply a gaussian blur of 100 to it.  This is possible but still a monumental pain compared to creating a text style that I could apply to any title.  That way I don't have to fuss with sizing and locating, etc.  Any other ideas?

• 4. Re: Title glow?
                the_wine_snob Community Member

You can also create your Title in Photoshop/Photoshop Elements, where you can add many Styles, including Glows. Just create it on a Transparent Background, and Save_As either PSD, or PNG, to maintain that Transparency (JPEG's do not allow Transparency), and Import that file, just like a Still Image.

PrPro's Titler offers a lot more control with easily appled Inner & Outer Glows, etc., and to control those, one does not have first pick a Style, containing those attributes/FX. However, either version of Photoshop will offer even more, and if one has PS, or PSE, it's a lot cheaper, than buying PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I use Steve's method often, as I want to animate the Glow (Blur) over time, separate from my Text Title.