9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2008 10:59 PM by DJHollingworth

Button text not editable

brandonmacro
      I've created a three part button and it's in the library. When i copy it to my workspace where i want to create a navigation bar and then clone it, I can't edit any of the text in the button like Fireworks says i can in the helpp tutorial. What do i do to get the text to change? Does this have to do with the slices? If so, how do i disable them, as i can't see how i can delete them at all. Thanks
        • 1. Re: Button text not editable
          Level 7
          brandonmacro wrote:

> I've created a three part button and it's in the library. When i copy it to my
          > workspace where i want to create a navigation bar and then clone it, I can't
          > edit any of the text in the button like Fireworks says i can in the helpp
          > tutorial. What do i do to get the text to change? Does this have to do with the
          > slices? If so, how do i disable them, as i can't see how i can delete them at
          > all. Thanks

Click on the button and you'll see the button text in the Text box in
          the property inspector. That's where you change it.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          • 2. Re: Button text not editable
            kaijakoma
            When i click on my button instance, the Text field in the Property Inspector doesn't become available for input. Is there a setting somewhere that i need to set so that it will accept Text input?
            • 3. Re: Button text not editable
              Level 7
              kaijakoma wrote:
              > When i click on my button instance, the Text field in the Property
              > Inspector doesn't become available for input. Is there a setting
              > somewhere that i need to set so that it will accept Text input?

Check the Layers panel to make sure the button isn't a bitmap.

--
              Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
              • 4. Re: Button text not editable
                kaijakoma Level 1
                I'm using FW CS3. I don't know how the layers panel can tell me whether or not the button is a bitmap. My buttons are simple vector rectangles with square corners. Should my buttons be in the web layer? I try to drag them there and they won't go. Does anyone know of a tutorial that actually shows how to enter text in the text field? The documentation i have only says to do it, but doesn't describe or show how.
                • 5. Button text not editable
                  kaijakoma Level 1
                  Here's what i did to create my button. Perhaps you can find the fault in my procedure. I laid out text boxes, one for each of my buttons, on a black background. Then, i created a red vector rectangle for each of my buttons to go behind the text for my down state. I'm used to creating my button states in PS and the navbar coding in DW, so this was how i was proceding in FW. Then, i read documentation on creating buttons and nav bars in FW. It took me a while to understand the process, but what i came away with is that i create the button graphic in the button editor and then close the button editor and adjust instance-specific attributes (like button text) from the property inspector (not symbol properties dialog box). So, i created a row of blank button clones that i need to put text on so people know what they refer to (home, contact, etc.). I click on a button and the text field in the property inspector remains uneditable.

Since i still have my layers of text boxes with my button lables, when i export to HTML, my buttons come out with the correct labels on them, but apparently FW should be able to receive button text as part of the button object itself. I just can't access that functionality over here and have no idea why.
                  • 6. Re: Button text not editable
                    DJHollingworth
                    I too am having this issue.

After following the Fireworks Tutorial to create 4 state buttons and then drag them into a menu bar I find that the Text field for each button's properties is greyed out and I can't add text. The Link and Alt fields are fine and will accept input.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

David
                    • 7. Re: Button text not editable
                      kaijakoma Level 1
                      I have no idea and i gave up trying to figure it out. I decided to design my site in Flash instead of Fireworks. Good luck. If you find a solution, please post it here. Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: Button text not editable
                        Level 7
                        kaijakoma wrote:

> properties dialog box). So, i created a row of blank button clones that i need
                        > to put text on so people know what they refer to (home, contact, etc.).

That's where you went wrong. The original button has to have some text
                        on it, rather than be blank, in order for you to change the text in
                        other instances of the button.

--
                        Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                        http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                        • 9. Re: Button text not editable
                          DJHollingworth Level 1
                          That was it exactly!

I went back and added some text to the button. Then I was able to edit the text in each button instance.

Thanks for your help.

Regards