4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 4:46 AM by Anzy_cq55

Workflow - Absolutetime AutoAdvancer

DavidMcCarty

Was looking at the addition of a workflow step to queue/delay the activation of pages until an off-peak specified window, and had seen the Absolutetime AutoAdvancer as a process step, but wasnt aware of the appropriate criteria/format to use as input in the timeout.  Anyone familiar with the correct time format or criteria to satisfy that need?

• 1. Re: Workflow - Absolutetime AutoAdvancer
          DavidMcCarty Level 1

If no one has has experience with use of Absolute AutoAdvancer workflow process, any other recommendations on straightforward approach to delay the exit of a workflow step until a specific time each day?

We just want to ensure the activation step is not processed (cache isnt flushed) until after a peak traffic.

TIA,

David

• 2. Re: Workflow - Absolutetime AutoAdvancer
            justin_at_adobe Adobe Employee

The AbsoluteTimeAutoAdvancer reads a property named absoluteTime from the WorkflowData's MetaDataMap. It's used in the "Activate Later" and "Deactivate Later" workflows. The property is expected to be a long (or parseable to a long) containing the number of milliseconds since 1/1/1970 (typical Java Date stuff).

I don't think this is necessarily the best choice for the problem you're describing. What you might want to do is write a new class which extends from AutoAdvance and implements the AbsoluteTimeoutHandler interface (just like AbsoluteTimeAutoAdvancer). In this class's getTimeoutDate method have logic like this:

Date now = new Date();

if (inPeakPeriod(now)) {

return endOfPeakPeriod + 1 min; // timeout right after peak period ends

} else {

return -1; // timeout now

}

In other words, rather than determining whether or not the workflow should be delayed *when the workflow is initiated*, determine it when the delay step is executed. See  http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/javadoc/com/day/cq/workflow/job/AbsoluteTimeoutHandl er.html for more information on this interface.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Workflow - Absolutetime AutoAdvancer
              nicolas.ignacio.funes

Hi Justin, I was wondering why the getTimeoutDate methods in only invoked while using participant steps. I looked at the code at it seems the ParticipantNodeHandler is only firing the publishTimeoutEvent while handling the node transition. I was wondering if this is the desired behavior or if this is a bug; if this is a bug is it resolved on CQ 5.5 ?. Thanks, Nicolas

• 4. Re: Workflow - Absolutetime AutoAdvancer
                Anzy_cq55

I want a intermediate step that will allow to move to next step only after some date or time. Can I use AbsoluteTimeAutoAdvancer?

Do I need to write a scheduler and job for this implementation of Timed Step completion?

Please suggest.