Here's a slight update.
It seems that if I go over 78 keyframes in any one clip, up to 79 or more, then the file will crash when trying to re-open it, but it will still render before closing it.
If I add more keyframes to other still image clips in the same project, then it will re-open with no problem... it is only if I have 79 or more keyframes in any one clip.
I cannot speak for Pr 6.5, but I have one Project with over 3000 Still Images, and each has either Motion>Position, Motion>Scale, or both. I would guess that I have well over 9000 Keyframes, and have never had an issue.
Now, the Stills are spread over 19 Sequences, and I do not know if that makes a difference.
I am unfamiliar with the errors, but StackHash should be related to your Resources, and possibly an overflow of your Windows Virtual Memory?
Good luck, and wish that I could be of more help,
This was a 10 second clip of a still image with the "Transform" Effect applied and only position and rotation settings set with the Transform Effect.
My solution is shortening the 10 second clip to 8 seconds so it contains the limit of 78 keyframes that I seem to have, then just putting another identical still image clip next to it, then continuing keyframes that I need to apply... so now instead of one 10 second clip with 100 keyframes (for example) I have one 8 second still image clip with 78 keyframes and another 2 second still image clip with the remaining 22 keyframes that I needed, butted up against the right side of the first clip.
This causes some complications in my project because I was going to apply a motion path to each 10 second clip to match the motion path used in a parallel clip, but I'll work it out.
The virtual memory doesn't seem to be a factor because I can open the new file with more than 100 keyframes, as long as only 78 or them and no more are in any single still image clip.
Thanks for your interest,
Even though I figured out a work around, I was still interested to know if these file opening crashes are related to Virtual Memory.
So on the topic of Virtual Memory... a few months ago I was troubleshooting a different problem in Premeire and I found this information...
"To improve performance in Premiere Pro, adjust the size of the paging file to a maximum of twice the amount of installed RAM."
Previous to that time three months ago or so, I had my Virtual Memory settings at the default automatic setting, but I tried setting my VM to twice the amount of installed RAM, and I've had it set that way ever since, just to make sure I'm optimizing the VM performance for Premiere and other apps.
But that isn't making any difference in this case. Today I also found information in a search that says to troubleshoot StackHash crashes, one should turn off "DEP" in the system settings for the application with the crash problem... according to the paragraph below, from the second post down by Chris on this tdistler.com page... http://tdistler.com/2009/04/10/stackhash-and-application-crashes-on-windows
Even though this was written in 2009 with Windows Vista in mind, many things for Vista work in Windows 7... it says,
"Here’s how 99 percent of Vista users can fix a StackHash failure. I’ll walk you through it step by step:
1. Open your Start menu and click Control Panel
2. Browse to “System Maintenance” then “System”
3. In the left panel, select “Advanced System Settings” from the available links
4. You should now see the System Properties Window, which will have three sections. The top section is labeled “Performance” and has a “Settings” button. Click this button.
5. Select the “Data Execution Prevention” tab.
6. Select the option which reads “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”
7. Use the “Browse” button to locate the executable file for the application you were trying to start when you received the StackHash error, and click Open to add it to your exceptions list.
8. Click Apply or OK to commit your changes."
But I tried this and none of the three problem files that I encountered would open... I still got the StackHash_e98d or PREMINFO.dll crash errors.
So anyway, I'm a ways past that in my project now, just continuing with more keyframes over the number of 78 in separate but identical still image clips... that allows me to successfully work with this project with as many keyframes as I need.