10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 11:03 AM by martcol

what do I do so that search engines find me easier?

CoccinellaRosy

Hello,

I was told by a friend that I could put a list of words relating to my business into my website somehow so that search engines would find me easier when they are typed in to the search bar but I dont know how to go about it.

Ive had my website for 6 months and still 'google for instance' cant find me unless i use only my title "Crafty Balloons" and even that only showed results in the last 2 weeks.

I would like to be found using search words like "balloon twisting" "balloons" "entertainment" "party planning" etc...

also I would like my images to show up when people type "balloon dragon" etc into a search engine can this be done too?

please help

ps I love this support site. you guys are the greatest

• 1. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First thing you have to do is promote, promote, promote .... for example you should have included your link to your site in this post. A site with more links to it will score better as will a busier site.

Second, have you added Keywords and descriptions? (See photo)

Screen Shot 2012-04-11 at 9.44.24 PM.png

• 2. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?
            CoccinellaRosy Level 1

oh I was hoping it was that easy

thankyou so much

Helena

http://www.craftyballoons.com.au/

• 3. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?

Well there is much much more to it, but that is a good start. From that point it takes a lot of research and fine tuning ....

Good luck with your site!

• 4. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?

Hey, very cool balloons by the way! ;-)

• 5. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?
                  osgood_ Level 8

Actually you need to do a bit more tweaking than has been discussed.

First you need to add meta description tags in the <head> section of each of your pages. Write a brief to the point description of what services you are offering such as:

Balloon twisting in Mandurah, WA. We provide all kinds of balloons for all kinds of balloon ocassions, birthday party balloons, festive, fete and corporate function balloons, store, promotion and wedding balloons.

Next you need to get some of the important keywords into correctly marked up html on your page.

<h> tags will be seen as more important by the Google spider so you should try and somehow incorporate the important keywords into those tags.

On your home page you have the following inside a <h2> tag which is good

Birthday Parties
                  Festivals and Fetes
                  Corporate Functions
                  Store Promotions
                  Weddings and Gifts

but youre not providing any of the above youre providing balloons for those ocassions. So you should re-write something like below:

<h1>Welcome to Crafty Balloons based in Mandurah, WA</h1>

<h2>We provide all kinds of balloons and balloon twisting for birthday parties, festivals, fetes, corporate functions, store promotions and weddings.</h2>

Then you can add the two paragraphs that already exist.

Also your keyword list should have a comma between each entry - balloons, balloon, crafts, party, parties, etc

If you make those changes to each page and wait a few days before typing into Google - balloon twisting in Mandurah Wa or - balloons for corporate functions in Mandurah then you have a good chance of being listed.

Most people when they search for something such as balloons will search locally first so having your location as a prominant keyword is always a good option.

Try to get listed in as many good FREE dircetories on the web as possible. It has been proven that the more inbound links you have to your site then Google finds it more 'interesting' and will elevate you up the rankings.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?
                    CoccinellaRosy Level 1

this was really wonderful help

I've almost done as you've said word for word I think

unfortunately when I put the <h1>intro</h1> up it has disappeared.

I recall in the tutorial that it said to use the <h1> tag for my heading which is hidden behind my banner so its properties are wierd and I cant seem to find where the styles are for it let alone change it.

any suggestions on what I should do?

also do I need to put the description and keywords on EACH page or just the index page?

thank you

Helena

• 7. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?
                      osgood_ Level 8

CoccinellaRosy wrote:

this was really wonderful help

I've almost done as you've said word for word I think

unfortunately when I put the <h1>intro</h1> up it has disappeared.

I recall in the tutorial that it said to use the <h1> tag for my heading which is hidden behind my banner so its properties are wierd and I cant seem to find where the styles are for it let alone change it.

any suggestions on what I should do?

thank you

Helena

As far as I can see you don't have an h1 tag on the page which refers to the below....so just comment out the below /* */

/* #container h1 {

position: absolute;

top: -500px;

font-size: 24px;

}*/

CoccinellaRosy wrote:

also do I need to put the description and keywords on EACH page or just the index page?

Yes you do. You can use a different description according to waht is on the page if you wish to vary it.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?
                        CoccinellaRosy Level 1

That worked! you are wonderful

thank you

• 9. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?
                          osgood_ Level 8

CoccinellaRosy wrote:

I should just add that the keyword meta tag is not now an essential part of the process of ranking the site. The live text content on the page is more important as is the meta description tag and inbound links to the site. It does no harm to include the meta keyword tag but its the least important.

• 10. Re: what do I do so that search engines find me easier?
                            martcol Level 4

osgood_ wrote:

...It does no harm to include the meta keyword tag but its the least important.

And I am certain that I have read that if words are in the keyword meta tag, they really should be in the page.  Whether that's true or not, it makes sense to me.  Have keywords as "high up" the page and in <h#> elements and make use of title and alt attributes where appropriate.

Martin

If I read it, I read it in "Building Findable Web Sites" by Aaron Walter. http://buildingfindablewebsites.com/