5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 2:38 PM by Peter Spier

I only see the image outline sometimes instead of the "dynamic graphics preview"?

Level 1

I'm sure everyone who uses InDesign for any amount of time is aware of something I just recently found out is called the "dynamic graphics preview." [See Fig. 2, below]

The dynamic graphics preview is the whole image you temporarily see when your trying to crop, or position an image within a frame. It's the part of the image that falls outside of the frame. The parts of the image that fall outside of the image are temporarily "seen" transparently (faded), to indicate that those areas are not within the viewable area of the frame. You usually see this when you are trying to crop the image with the direct selection tool, after you click and hold on the image for a few seconds with the direct selection tool. The temporary transparent preview goes away once you decide on the position and let go of the mouse click.

So my issue is: when I click and hold, on certain images with the direct selection tool (white arrow) the dynamic graphics preview doesn't show up? All I see is the outline of the path of the image, with NO PREVIEW, or the outline of the shape (usually a rectangle), with NO PREVIEW.

For instance there was this one situation at work (where I work on catalogs) where the same image was copied six times, in order to make swatches, and when I clicked and held on those particular images the dynamic graphics preview would show, but not on the other images, even though they're the same image!? Meaning, the same exact image file, just copied six times.

So why can I see the temporary transparent preview for certain instances of the same image but not for others?

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Again any answers are completely appreciated.

Fig. 1

dynamicGraphicsPreview_001.png

Fig. 2

dynamicGraphicsPreview_002.png

• 1. Re: I only see the image outline sometimes instead of the "dynamic graphics preview"?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The first question would be does it work if you try again and wait a bit longer before moving the mouse?

Next, does it happen in more than this file?

Does it continue to happen if you restart the computer?

Does it happen if you use a ne user account?

• 2. Re: I only see the image outline sometimes instead of the "dynamic graphics preview"?
            Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

The first question would be does it work if you try again and wait a bit longer before moving the mouse?

Next, does it happen in more than this file?

Does it continue to happen if you restart the computer?

Does it happen if you use a ne user account?

– Nope. Tried that.

– It happens in other files as well. The situation is similar also, where one copy of the same file will show the dynamic graphic preview but the other copies will not.

– Yes, even after restart, it persists. It occured again today in fact.

– Yes. Even after I login in with a different account, I get the same issue. Others in my office have had the same issue. Can it be server related? Or permisions related? I don't see how that can be when it's the same exact file, and on one copy it works but on the others it doesn't.

..Makes no sense at all.

By the way this is all happening on CS 5.5 - version 7.5.2 [Fig. 3].

NOTE: The images above [Fig. 1-2] show CS 3 screen shots because they were made from my computer at home, which as far as I know don't have the same problem with the dynamic graphics preview (DGP). Those images are only there to help illustrate what the DGP is. All the issues with the DGP are occuring in CS 5.5.

Fig. 3

AboutIndesign_001.png

• 3. Re: I only see the image outline sometimes instead of the "dynamic graphics preview"?

Since it ahppens in multiple accounts it's unlikely that resetting prefs will help, and multiple files suggests it isn't file corruption (particularly if it works for some users and not others with the same file) which brings us to possibly a hardware issue.

Wireless mouse? Try a different mouse, preferably wired. Also try updating the mouse driver.

• 4. Re: I only see the image outline sometimes instead of the "dynamic graphics preview"?
                Level 1

..You know what, I think you were right about waiting longer before I move the mouse.

I'll know for sure when I take a look at the other pages I did previously.

I just dragged quickly just now while I was building more swatches and then I waited longer the next few times and it worked.

I'm almost positive that that's what the issue was. Rediculously annoying.

I guess, I was was moving it first and then waiting for the DGP to appear after I stopped. SO initially you can't move at all, just hold the mouse down.

It seems you have to select the inner image/content and don't move at all while holding down the mouse, and then within a few moments the DGP will appear.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: I only see the image outline sometimes instead of the "dynamic graphics preview"?

That's the way it works. It's officially called "patient user mode" I believe, and you can see why.