13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2008 7:18 AM by Newsgroup_User

Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore

Level 7
      For some reason, the Sprite Toolbar is not cooperating anymore. When I
      select a sprite (either in score or on stage) the numbers and such don't
      update. If I then click on the toolbar, the numbers update, but they should
      change whenever I select a sprite, not continue displaying the stats for the
      last thing I had selected. I've had this problem for a while, actually, and
      it usually goes away with a quit/reload (only to return after another 10
      minutes or so of working, sigh). But this one's new: on top of that, I can
      now no longer change values in the toolbar. The X and Y, Height and Width,
      Left, Right, Top and Bottom, Rotation and Skew, and the Start and End Frame
      things simply don't work at all. I type in a number, hit return, and it
      just changes back to what it was. Quitting and restarting has no effect.
      I'm thinking maybe my project is getting a little large and I'm having
      memory issues possibly? But it's not really THAT large to be honest. I've
      made bigger (though possibly less complicated) without issues. Has anyone
      else ever run into this annoyance?

I must say it really sucks having to drag the scale-handles pixel by pixel
      because the H and W fields won't let me enter a value manually. I can
      handle the X and Y thing - at least I've got the arrow-keys to do
      pixel-nudging. But the H and W (and by extension L, R, T, and B) are the
      worst to do by hand. Also annoying was one case where I was rotating
      something 90 degrees, and accidentally let go of the shift immediately
      before releasing the mouse, getting stuck with something like 90.2 degrees.
      Once that happened, it was impossible to get it back to exactly 90, because
      the snap will only work based on your current rotation, so I get 60.2, 75.2,
      90.2, 105.2, 120.2, etc. I had to delete the sprite and recreate it in
      order to get the angle right. I can't keep working like this - how do I fix
      this?

• 1. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
          Level 7
          Try using the Property Inspector instead. If it gets in your way too
          often, you can turn off Num Lock and use the / key on the keypad to
          toggle its visibility, or use Ctrl+Alt+S. I haven't used the Sprite
          Toolbar since around version 7 and I haven't missed it since
          accommodating the PI into my workflow.
          You could also use your message window to tweak width, rotation, etc.
          • 2. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
            Level 7
            Do you have a whole lot of 3rd party xtras? I have found that things
            get really flaky when editing very large Director movies if there are
            loads of xtras. A lot of time, I can fix the issue by temporarily
            removing a bunch of the larger xtras that are not needed by the app I'm
            working on. Impressario for example... removing it often fixes a lot of
            strange issues. In my case, I have a movie with, say, 8 casts. I open
            the file, and only 3 casts open up. Everything works, but I can not get
            those casts open, so it is hard to find scripts or members. Also, some
            dropdown menus get weird, like when I go to file, recent movies, most of
            them will be blank, particularly those with long filenames.

I never use the sprite toolbar, but it sounds like a similar issue. Try
            closing Director, then remove a bunch of xtras that you don't need right
            now. Open Director up and see if that magically fixed it. It might
            help... or not...
            • 3. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
              Level 7
              No, no xtras at all, really. Well, FileIO, but that's not really 3rd-party.
              The complete xtras list inclues: Text Asset.x32, TextXtra.x32, Font
              Xtra.x32, Flash Asset.x32, SWADCmpr.x32, and FileIo.x32. Nothing out of the
              ordinary there, I think.

• 4. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                Level 7
                I think Mike's referring to having them *installed* in the authoring
                environment, and suggesting you temporarily remove currently unused ones
                while authoring.
                • 5. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                  Level 7
                  > In my case, I have a movie with, say, 8 casts. I open the file, and only
                  > 3 casts open up. Everything works, but I can not get those casts open, so
                  > it is hard to find scripts or members.

Ooh, I just noticed that statement - I am using a large number of casts,
                  around 12 or so, and I've often had the program not show half the casts (or
                  even any but the default "Internal" cast) when I start up. But I can always
                  get the missing casts to show up by selecting them from the cast dropdown
                  list, and once I've done this, they all work normally. Not sure if that's
                  related, but it struck me as a familiar glitch...

• 6. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                    Level 7
                    > Try using the Property Inspector instead. If it gets in your way too
                    > often, you can turn off Num Lock and use the / key on the keypad to toggle
                    > its visibility, or use Ctrl+Alt+S. I haven't used the Sprite Toolbar since
                    > around version 7 and I haven't missed it since accommodating the PI into
                    > my workflow.
                    > You could also use your message window to tweak width, rotation, etc.

When you work on two monitors as I do, there's something to be said for not
                    having to go all the way to the PI (docked on the right side of the
                    right-hand monitor) and back to the score/stage, etc. I suppose I could try
                    floating the PI and see if I can get used to it. I just think if a feature
                    is in the program, it should work properly. Incidentally, I've had this
                    problem with the PI as well - sometimes that doesn't update when I select a
                    new sprite either. Though I haven't yet run into the other problem of not
                    being able to type in values there - but then again, I don't use the PI for
                    that purpose very often, so maybe it does have the same bug - I'll try it
                    for a bit and report back.

As for using the Message Window - do changes called via Message Window
                    actually get applied to the score? I thought that was the same as applying
                    said changes via run-time scripts - when you hit rewind, everything resets
                    to what it's set to in the score. Or is it different when the movie's not
                    actually running?

• 7. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                      Level 7
                      > When you work on two monitors as I do, there's something to be said for not
                      > having to go all the way to the PI (docked on the right side of the
                      > right-hand monitor) and back to the score/stage, etc.

I agree. I also use dual monitors, but the first thing I do when
                      installing a new copy of Director is switch the panel set to Director 8
                      That way, windows stay where I've left them.

> As for using the Message Window - do changes called via Message Window
                      > actually get applied to the score? I thought that was the same as applying
                      > said changes via run-time scripts - when you hit rewind, everything resets
                      > to what it's set to in the score. Or is it different when the movie's not
                      > actually running?

Not unless you wrap it in a beginRecording/endRecording session, use
                      updateFrame and walk the entire span - way more work than necessary.
                      Sorry for the misguidance.

I agree that the Sprite Toolbar should just work. In the absence of any
                      valid suggestions to fix it, I was rather trying to provide work-arounds
                      - in the long and proud tradition of Director usage! FWIW I've also seen
                      the toolbar fail with D7, but like I said that was a long time ago now...
                      • 8. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                        Level 7
                        Precisely. What I am talking about is how many xtras you have in your
                        DIRECTOR xtras folder. It has nothing to do with the xtras used in any
                        given movie.
                        • 9. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                          Level 7
                          > Precisely. What I am talking about is how many xtras you have in your
                          > DIRECTOR xtras folder. It has nothing to do with the xtras used in any
                          > given movie.

Well, that's also almost none. I think the only 3rd-party extras I even
                          have are FileXtra and BuddyAPI. Maybe BuddyZip also. All of which are
                          pretty reputable ones, I think. Is it worth removing them to see if it has
                          an effect? (I'd rather not have to, because when I go back to other
                          projects that need them, it'd be a pain to have to keep putting them in,
                          taking them out, etc.)

• 10. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                            Level 7
                            > Though I haven't yet run into the other problem of not being able to type
                            > in values there - but then again, I don't use the PI for that purpose very
                            > often, so maybe it does have the same bug - I'll try it for a bit and
                            > report back.

Bad news - PI has the same problem. Typing numbers into the fields there
                            has the same effect as typing them in the Sprite Toolbar - i.e. none. Any
                            other suggestions?

• 11. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                              Level 7
                              > Bad news - PI has the same problem. Typing numbers into the fields there
                              > has the same effect as typing them in the Sprite Toolbar - i.e. none. Any
                              > other suggestions?

Thread necromancy, but I never got an answer to this question, and it's
                              still a serious hamper on my workflow. I can't type numbers into the fields
                              for sprites on EITHER the Sprite Toolbar OR the Property Inspector, and it's
                              pretty much all the time now. This means any adjustments to size, begin/end
                              frame, etc. have to be done *manually*, which is a serious pain. I can't be
                              the only person to run into this problem. Anyone?

• 12. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                                gresh Level 1
                                Something could have corrupted the OS components responsible for display of items like menus / toolbars/ inspectors.
                                In cases like this I eventually bite the bullet and reinstall the OS, especially if the problem is getting worse as time passes.
                                • 13. Re: Sprite Toolbar on Score not working anymore
                                  Level 7
                                  > Something could have corrupted the OS components responsible for display
                                  > of
                                  > items like menus / toolbars/ inspectors.
                                  > In cases like this I eventually bite the bullet and reinstall the OS,
                                  > especially if the problem is getting worse as time passes.

I'm almost certain that's not the case. The problem doesn't exist on
                                  simpler Director projects, it's only on this larger one that I've started
                                  noticing it more and more often. And as for corrupted OS, I'm experiencing
                                  the same problem with this file on 2 different computers, so unless you're
                                  implying that Director itself is responsible for this OS corruption, I think
                                  it's unlikely that the exact same glitch would happen to the OS on 2
                                  different computers, but only when dealing with this one Director project.
                                  (Also, reinstalling the OS at this time would have me out of production for
                                  at least a week while I reinstall, reconfigure, etc. everything, and that's
                                  unacceptable right now due to deadlines.)