5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 7:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Turn Off Indexing in Win7

Ed.Macke Level 3

For WinXP, I had read - and followed - advice to turn off Windows indexing so that it wouldn't adversely impact Premiere.

But I now have Win7 64-bit Home and have read that the indexing has been vastly improved, Thus, I was wondering if the advice about turning off indexing still applies?

If it does, given that I currently have my program files on C:, my scratch files on D:, and my video files (input .avi, output .avi, and DVD folders) on E:, would it be safe to turn on indexing on any of those drives?

• 1. Re: Turn Off Indexing in Win7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

I have been a long-standing advocate of turning Windows Indexing off, and especially for video editing. However, that has held through XP. I did not go to Vista, so cannot comment. Others, who did go to Vista, still recommended turning it OFF. Now, with Win7 - 64-bit, you could well be correct, but I have no experiences to offer. Others will have to answer your specific question.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Turn Off Indexing in Win7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should not even notice Indexing running in Windows 7 64-bit (unless your system is struggling with the basic functions of Windows 7). You can turn it off if you'd like. But, like the Aero interface, most current computers are capable of running it without robbing significant power from Premiere Elements.

• 3. Re: Turn Off Indexing in Win7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Where it has hindered things, when video editing in the past, was by locking the large files, while it attempted to Index them - this could affect such files as the CFA's, the Render Files, and even media files on the HDD, before one can Import them. It could also be that Indexing is "smarter" now, and will not affect files, that it cannot extract indexing data from.

I have not gotten the new laptop with Win7-64, but will test with Indexing ON, to see how it performs.

Thanks for the input.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Turn Off Indexing in Win7
                Ed.Macke Level 3

OK, thanks.

I never really paid attention to indexing before, because I just turned the service off. But with Win7, the level of indexing control seems like maybe just turning the indexing service off is too heavy-handed.

For example, I could specify that a) .AVI files should not be indexed, b) just have their properties indexed, or c) have their properties *and* contents indexed.

My PC should be able to handle it (newly hand-built i7-2600 w/ 16GB and all SATA II or III drives), so I think I'll turn it back on and see what happens, probably telling Win7 to just index the properties for my E: and .AVI files in general.

Thanks for the insight, guys.

• 5. Re: Turn Off Indexing in Win7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

That level of control sounds like a good thing.

Please do report how things go with your editing. I know that I will learn something from your tests.

Good luck,

Hunt