4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 6:25 AM by RjL190365 RSS

Building and economical editing rig with Z68/Z77 chipset, Intel QuickSync, LucidLogic and Cuda Cores

Doug-bedfoto Community Member

Greetings all. I've been trolling the forums for a few days now and suprisingly (I think) haven't come accross any discussion about the Intel Quick Synch technology and LucidLogic Virtu software available in the Z68 and newly available Z77 Intel chipset motherboards with respect to editing in Premiere Pro.  The Intel Quick Synch technology, as I understand it, is all about accelerating video compression & decompression, etc.- though I've not used it yet. The LucidLogic Virtu software is supposed to allow the combination of Intel's Quick Synch along with a discrete graphics card (e.g. nVidia chipset with cuda cores enabled in MPE).  My understanding and experience of Cuda Cores (I currently have them working in Pre-Pro 5.5 using a 460GTX chip and a successfull hack) is that when MPE is enabled, rendering and pIayback is greatly speed enhanced, though I believe the MPE engine gives only limited assistance and speed to much of the conversions, compression and exporting (which is a great deal of day to day editing experience) while Quick Synch is supposed to make a real difference here. Now I do not suppose Intel or the MB manufacturers have thought that the LucidLogic Virtu software be compatible with Premiere Pro and MPE hardware, but I figure it can't hurt to ask..

Editing needs: Some SD (basic DV), HD, 720/60p and some 1080i/p. (cameras Canon 7D video / Panasonic AVCCAM 1080/30p) MPEG4, H264 codecs, etc.

A motherboard which I moght consider would be, for instance, a new Asus P8Z77-V Pro or similar. http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PRO/ depending on add-in slots needed (Pci-e and/or PCI)

CPU: Intel 2700K,  memory to match with some overclocking expected,

Of course I could go on, but this is the basic thought. Any thoughts or copmments are surely welcome. Thanks in advance

Doug A