9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2008 9:56 AM by ntsiii

Where to find API Docs?

monkeyden.com
      Does anyone know where to download the HTML API docs? I have the XSL/XML-based version which integrates with FB but it's not renderable when browsing. I also have a URL but the performance is unbearable.

In addition to that, the current doc site seems to be messed up. The below URL appears to be displaying Spanish.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/mx/containers/Panel.html
        • 1. Re: Where to find API Docs?
          Ansury Level 3
          Wait, what's wrong with Help->Help Contents in FB? Both 2 and 3 have the Language Reference in there, although I forget where it is for 2.
          What do you mean it's not renderable?

(The list you posted doesn't seem to load in my browser, but it seems to be just that page I think.)
          • 2. Re: Where to find API Docs?
            VarioPegged Level 2
            Don't know about downloading the HTML docs, but the link to the online docs works just fine in my browser with no performance issues:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/index.html

TS
            • 3. Re: Where to find API Docs?
              monkeyden.com Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: Ansury
              Wait, what's wrong with Help->Help Contents in FB? Both 2 and 3 have the Language Reference in there, although I forget where it is for 2.
              What do you mean it's not renderable?

(The list you posted doesn't seem to load in my browser, but it seems to be just that page I think.)

1. I prefer to view API docs in the browser, whether they be AS of Java, rather than a small window within Eclipse/FB/whatever. Yeah, sure, it can be seen in FB...but it's not ideal.

2. Assuming the path below is the location for "local" API docs, the files in there rely on a couple different things (XLS style sheets and an executable), neither of which the browser can handle. Hence, not renderable.
              {adobe folder}\Flex Builder 3 Plug-in\sdks\3.0.0\asdoc\templates

3. The entire Flex API doc site is behaving strangely. I am seeing the behavior you're seeing and, when I can get to it, it's in Spanish. Also, if you look at the browser title, it says Photoshop CS3, despite the fact that the URL references mx.containers.Panel. It's not working consistently, trust me. The ironic thing is, and back to my original question, a downloadable zip file with HTML pages would solve this problem.
              • 4. Where to find API Docs?
                monkeyden.com Level 1
                The doc site appears to be behaving now and, at the moment, performance seems better than I have ever seen it. There was definitely something going on with it.
                • 5. Where to find API Docs?
                  Ansury Level 3
                  quote:

Originally posted by: monkeyden.com
                  1. I prefer to view API docs in the browser, whether they be AS of Java, rather than a small window within Eclipse/FB/whatever. Yeah, sure, it can be seen in FB...but it's not ideal.

I'm still not sure we're talking about the same thing - are you talking about the 'code help'? (i.e. autocompletion popup docs and so on) Yeah, that isn't that great - I'm saying that if you go to Help->Help Contents (or something) and you fish around in that menu, you can find the API docs right there, and the window that opens is a regular window that can be made fullscreen. Not sure if you're aware of that or not, but I didn't find it until awhile after I was using Flex/FB.

A downloadable version would be nice though, particularly a chm version.
                  • 6. Where to find API Docs?
                    slaingod Level 1
                    Yes, you can set the search results to open in say Firefox, which will be in a separate browser.

That said, these forums are slow, and the LiveDocs are more like SemicomatoseDocs ;p

(Also, not everyone is using FlexBuilder now that the SDK is open source, so people may have a genuine need for docs.)
                    • 7. Re: Where to find API Docs?
                      ntsiii Level 3
                      Most all of the docs can be downloaded in PDF format. I don't have the url, but you can find it off the Adobe main site, probably under support, Flex, documents.

Tracy
                      • 8. Re: Where to find API Docs?
                        ntsiii Level 3
                        Here is the url:
                        http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flex/

looks like the API is downloadable as html only.

Tracy
                        • 9. Re: Where to find API Docs?
                          ntsiii Level 3
                          Here is the url:
                          http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flex/

looks like the API is downloadable as html only.

Tracy