6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 10:33 AM by John T Smith

First time PC build. Please help.

Miles Driedger

So first off I'm pretty amateur.  I have been running Pr elements on an old destop for a while and putting together a few little DSLR projects.  Im starting to get a few more serious projects and need to upgrade things.  I was tempted to go down the Mac route but have pretty much opted against that.  I am planning on getting Production Premium, as I can get student pricing.  Going this route I really need a good computer that I can rely on to cut and color quickly.  Keep in mind that Im not doing anything really fancy.  Mostly simple edits with coloring and other basic effects. 

This is what the computer shop recomended based on what I thought I needed. The price came out a little higher than Id like, so any recommendations would be really appreciated.  I am really not much of a computer guy so I have no idea if there are any problems with this setup.  Is it too much for what I'm doing? What would you do to make it better?

Antec P193 Full Tower

Antec True Power 1200W Power Supply

Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5 GHz (Quad Core Hyperthreaded)

ASUS SKT1155 Intel Z77 Ivy Bridge Motherboard

16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Ram

Patriot 240 GB Wildfire SSD Hard Drive (OS drive)

Seagate Barracuda SATA/600 3TB Hard Drive (Data Storage)

ASUS Blu-Ray Writer 12X

Internal Card Reader All – in – One

PNY nVidia Quadro 4000 2GB DDR5 256bit Graphics

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

3 Year Warranty

$3249.95 CAD

I appreciate anyone who can take the time to answer this question from a beginner.

• 1. Re: First time PC build. Please help.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The PSU is overdone, 1200 W is not needed, 750 - 850W is enough.

The Patriot 240 G SSD can be exchanged for a 120 G model, saves some money.

Get a second Barracuda disk, one for media and projects, one for pagefile, media cache and previews.

Change the Quadro 4000 for the GTX 560Ti, doubles the performance for a third of the price.

Have a look at Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: First time PC build. Please help.
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Patriot 240 GB Wildfire SSD Hard Drive (OS drive)

I agree with Harm... I have Win7 64bit Pro and CS5 Master Collection and MS Office Pro and "several" other, smaller programs on my boot drive... and only 60gig is used... I do have my work load spread across 3 drives

My 3 hard drives to edit AVCHD are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

>Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Unless you are on a "business enterprise network" where you need the advanced features of Ultimate, all you need is Win7 64bit Pro

Even if you are not going to overclock your CPU look into a better cooling aftermarket CPU fan

Be sure you have plenty of "large, quiet" case fans

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 includes a link to the computer I built... outdated now, but still works well for me

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: First time PC build. Please help.
              Miles Driedger Level 1

Thanks Harm.  That helps give me a lot more confidence in knowing what I should buy.  Any issues with the GTX GPU? I had just been reading that maybe the build quality wasn't as good the Quadro.  Also the guy at our shop says that the Quadro is twice as good as the GTX.  Not contradicting your, just learning.  Is that sort of a Premiere issue between the two cards? Of course when it comes down to price I may not have an option anyway.

Thanks

• 4. Re: First time PC build. Please help.
                Miles Driedger Level 1

Thank you John.  I am glad I posted this question.  I'm learning quite a bit from you guys.  Like I said I'm pretty new to all this. If I can get the newbie clarification.  When you start a new project you do it on #2 and that automatically puts the pagefile, media cache and previews onto that drive? Then you are pullling all your assets off of #3?  And 320GB more or less is enough space for those purposes on drive #2 or would I be better off with 2 x 1TB drives plus the SSD?

• 6. Re: First time PC build. Please help.
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The pagefile is a Windows function... I posted a link to search at Microsoft to learn how to put the pagefile on a drive other than boot

Otherwise... yes, putting a project on my 2nd drive also directs the temporary files there (been awhile, you MAY need to specify the drive in your project options)... and, yes, all media files on 1T drive

If you want to have TWO large drives, have your source files on drive 3 and all output files on drive 4