4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 12:07 PM by Mayerchak

How to set Layer Visibility on Initial View?

Mayerchak Level 1

I have created some forms that have multiple layers in them. They are several pages long. On page 1 there are 3 radio buttons . . . the user selects their appropriate user type and that turns on the correct layer and turns off the other layers. Unfortunately, if they go to page 2 before clicking one of the butttons, they see all of the layers at once, and it's a jumbled mess.

Is there a way to set the default layer visibility so that when you open the PDF, it shows only the layer I want it to? I can't find this in the initial view settings.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

• 1. Re: How to set Layer Visibility on Initial View?
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you can use a document level script to set the state of the OCG, Optonal Content Group or layer, objects intial states.

var nOCG = 0; // number of OCG to display

// set all OCGs off

var ocgs = this.getOCGs();

ocgs[0].initState.constants.states.off;

// turnon the one OCG for initial view

ocgs[nOCG].initState.constants.states.on;

• 2. Re: How to set Layer Visibility on Initial View?
            Mayerchak Level 1

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

p.s. what's a good source of documentation on javascript as it relates to Acrobat? I.e. what you can do in Acrobat via javascript. Is there a book or online resource you know of?

• 4. Re: How to set Layer Visibility on Initial View?
              Mayerchak Level 1

Hi,

I'm finally getting around to using the script you so generously provided. Client sat on the project for months, and now they want it fixed.

I have 4 layers, or OCGs (sounds like that is what javascript calls them), named "Common", "Staff", "Supervisor", and "Manager" - and I would like the intial view to show the layers "Common" and "Staff" . . . how would I plug that into the script above?

Does javascript refer to the OCGs by name, or do they have numbers associated with them?

Here is my attempt - but really just a guess, and it did not work:

function InitialLayerView()

{

var nOCG = 1;  // number of OCG to display

var nOCG2 = 2;  // number of OCG to display

// set all OCGs off

var ocgs = this.getOCGs();

ocgs[0].initState.constants.states.off;

// turnon the two OCGs for initial view

ocgs[nOCG].initState.constants.states.on;

ocgs[nOCG2].initState.constants.states.on;

}

Also - once I close the script, save and reopen the file, should I have to do anything to run the script? I'm hoping it just runs on open.

Thanks for any help you can give!