3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2008 12:06 PM by david.mills

Flex Charting 2 with Flex Builder 3

david.mills
      I've recently inherited a code base that was built on Flex 2 and uses the Flex 2 Charting component. Flex Builder 3 is the only version of Builder currently available, so that's what I'm using, but with the "Flex 2.0.1 Hotfix 3" compiler option set.

My problem is that the watermark "Flex Charting Trial" still appears on my charts. I've tried setting my Builder 3 serial number in the license.properties file as is shown in certain documentation, but it doesn't appear to make any difference.

Does my Flex Builder 3 Professional license entitle me to use the Charting component?

If so, should my Builder 3 serial number work for Flex Charting 2?

If not, where may I aquire the necessary serial number?

Thanks,
      David Mills
        • 1. Re: Flex Charting 2 with Flex Builder 3
          matt_chotin Level 3
          Hi,

You would need to apply a Flex 2 serial number to the license.properties which can be found in the Flex 2 SDK. We are not selling Flex 2 or Charting anymore, though I do see FB w/ Charting for sale on Amazon and a few other vendors.

You may wish to also try upgrading the project to use Flex 3 and setting the compatibility flag to 2 and seeing if that works for you.

Matt
          • 2. Re: Flex Charting 2 with Flex Builder 3
            david.mills Level 1
            Thanks for the reply, Matt.

Unfortunately, modifying the app to compile with FB 3 isn't an option due to time and budget constraints. That's why I set the compiler flag telling it to use the Flex 2 SDK.

Does my Flex Builder 3 Professional license entitle me to use the Charting component?

Thanks,
            Dave
            • 3. Re: Flex Charting 2 with Flex Builder 3
              david.mills Level 1
              This issue was resolved with help from Ryan at Adobe tech support. For anyone else who's suffering from this problem, the resolution is that you need a valid Flex 2 w/Charting serial number to place in the file "<Flex 3 Builder Root>\sdks\2.0.1\frameworks\license.properties" on the line "charting=<serial #>".

To answer my own previously asked questions:

Yes, Flex Builder 3 is supposed to entitle me to use the Flex Charting component (which is integrated with Flex 3, but was an addon in Flex 2).

No, the Flex Builder 3 serial does NOT work with Flex 2 Charting. You need a Flex 2 w/Charting serial.

To anyone in this position, I would recommend opening tech support case via the web support portal and politely explaining your situation. It took a few days, but when I finally got through to someone who could help, the resolution was prompt.

Regards,
              Dave