4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2012 9:07 AM by dh91

Glass shards with footage coming together

dh91 Level 1

Hey everyone... i've already started on my own method of doing this, but I wanted to see if there is a better way.

I have several pieces of footage masked off like broken pieces of glass. They are precomped so I can add some texture layers to them. I want them to move forward in Z space until they come together like a puzzle, then I will have them "morph" into an image.

So right now in order to make them move uniformly I have them scattered in Z space and the camera moves backwards. I was going to manually adjust the masks so that they "fit" together, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Dan

• 1. Re: Glass shards with footage coming together
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would certainly be working in reverse:  start with all your shards in the finished position, then work backwards.

Another option:  use the Shatter plugin and reverse it.  You will need to reverse your source footage in a precomp.  Apply Shatter, adjust approproately, precomp again and then reverse again.  The result will be the source footage, now running forward again, will reverse-shatter, with the shards coming together rather than exploding out.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Glass shards with footage coming together
            dh91 Level 1

Thanks for the response.

I originally thought the shatter effect might work, but I need each shard of glass to display a different piece of footage. Luckily for me the pieces will only be moving in Z space, so making sure everything fits together, then working backwards should work pretty well!

• 3. Re: Glass shards with footage coming together
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You may still be able to use effects like Shatter with a custom shatter map and some UV pass trickery, if you can wrap your read around some of the stuff I explained long ago here.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Glass shards with footage coming together
                dh91 Level 1

Thanks for the link Mylenium.

I get the general concept of UV mapping, being familer with different texturing options in C4D. However there's still some things that I don't quite understand yet. So for the purposes of the video i'm trying to make (an intro sequence for a show I filmed at my old highschool), I think I will save this method for a later date.

I bookmarked your article though and am certain I will fully understand it someday soon.