9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 10:13 AM by Omke Oudeman RSS

Bridge not launching

Kelpie47

Hi

The hard drive on my Mac Pro recently failed and I switched to an internal clone, all appeared to be well.

However, when I try to launch Bridge I get the error message that the 'Operation could not be completed', I can launch Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 4 with no problems. I have reinstalled PS and Bridge making sure I deleted all files first but the problem continues.

I can launch Bridge from another account which leads me to think it is a permissions problem. I have repaired permissions.

When I look at the Bridge permissions in the Finder they appear identical to those of PS.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for fixing this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Bridge not launching
          Curt Y Community Member

Have you tried resetting your prefernces by holding down the Command key while starting Bridge?  You should get a reset window with 3 options.  This file not affected by a re-install.

• 2. Re: Bridge not launching
            Curt Y Community Member

Also check the ownership of the new drive to make sure it is under you user name.

• 3. Re: Bridge not launching
              Kelpie47 Community Member

Hi

Yes, I've done this several times

• 4. Re: Bridge not launching

Hi

The drive says the owner is root, as fas I know that's always been the case. I tried changing it to my user name but Bridge would still not launch.

• 5. Re: Bridge not launching
                  Curt Y Community Member

Not an expert on Mac, or anything else for that matter.  But check out this LINK which gives a little insight on drive ownership.  Meant for shared drives but may be useful.

Might be able to check "ignore ownership" and see if that solves problem.  It is does then you have to figure out how to change ownership.

• 6. Re: Bridge not launching

Hi

Thanks for the repsonse but the drive with Bridge on is the boot drive and should therefore be owned by root, which mine is.

Cheers

• 7. Re: Bridge not launching
                      Omke Oudeman Community Member

The drive says the owner is root, as fas I know that's always been the case.

The start up Disk should have read and write permissions for both system and administrator (You)

It might be due to the use of the internal clone, Bridge can be very critical with changes on OS.

Before Lion there was the option on the install disk to use Archive and Install, that would create a new library and copy the old one without the need of reinstall everything again. After A&I a Combo Update would finish it and you where back in business within the hour.

Stil no experience with 10.7 myself (have to switch soon because Mobile Me expires...) but there seems to be the same sort of option for Lion using recovery HD.

Read these both web pages or google yourself:

http://Pondini.org/OSX/RecoveryHD.html

http://www.macstrategy.com/article.php?45

But to be honest, if it happened to me I would invest a few more hours to reinstall the OS and applications again from scratch. Copy my files and custom settings from the back up disks (mail, caches, custom settings, etc - in fact I have a back up of my user library) again and have a fresh and new installed system

• 8. Re: Bridge not launching

Hi

You may be right but I was trying to avoid reisntalling everything.

It's irritating that Bridge will launch from another account but not mine, it should be something simple to fix but I can't find it. Just uninstalled all CS5, used the Adobe cleaner app and reinstalled but it still don't work.

• 9. Re: Bridge not launching
                          Omke Oudeman Community Member

Just uninstalled all CS5, used the Adobe cleaner app and reinstalled but it still don't work.

Yes that is a PITA but reinstall CS5 does not solve problems if you don't use the cleantool for CS5 and do it by the book. But seriously, Bridge is critical on user account and as said, an archive and install used to fix it for OSX prior to Lion, I suspect the recovery HD for Lion does the same.