4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2008 7:17 AM by Newsgroup_User

Film Loop Sprites going wonky...

Level 7
      I've just run into a real doozy - I'm using a bunch of Film Loop animation
      sprites in my project (about 35 on stage at once, approx. 100 pixels square
      each), and for some reason, several of them have decided to just completely
      stop behaving properly. They've moved themselves to the upper-left corner
      of the stage, scaled themselves up to twice their proper size, and refuse to
      be moved or resized back to where they're supposed to be. They're not
      locked, but when I try to move or resize them, they just stay right where
      they are. I've tried deleting the offending sprites and copy/pasting a
      similar sprite to position it in the same place, but then this makes BOTH
      sprites go wonky. Everything I do just seems to make it worse. I've even
      tried saving/restarting the program to see if it'll clear out the memory or
      something, and it makes no difference. Has anyone ever run into this bug?
      Is there any solution? This could kill my project if I don't get it cleaned
      up. I'm afraid to do anything now because it just seems to get worse every
      time I try...

• 1. Re: Film Loop Sprites going wonky...
          Wolfgang Herold Level 2
          scale with .with and .height does that behaviour.
          move with .loc, .locH and .locV should work.

try to scale and move with sprite(x).rect, it's more calculation, but worked for me in most cases.

regards
          Wolfgang
          • 2. Re: Film Loop Sprites going wonky...
            Level 7
            > scale with .with and .height does that behaviour.
            > move with .loc, .locH and .locV should work.
            >
            > try to scale and move with sprite(x).rect, it's more calculation, but
            > worked
            > for me in most cases.

Most of them (including the wonky ones) aren't being scaled via scripts, but
            are manually scaled by dragging the rect-corners. (Holding down CTRL to
            keep the aspect ratio the same.) There ARE film loop sprites that are being
            scaled via scripts (using width and height), but these ones haven't had any
            problems so far. None of them are being moved via scripts in this case. I
            ultimately solved this problem by deleting all of the offending film loop
            members and recreating them from scratch (I make a habit of keeping any
            sprites involved in film loops sitting together on a frame past the end of
            my used frames, in case I need to make any changes - that saved my butt this
            time.)

Incidentally, does anyone know WHY scaling film loops via height/width has
            this problem? It's particularly annoying, and a bug you'd think somebody
            would've noticed by now, considering the film loop feature has been in the
            program since I-don't-know-what version, but at least as far back as 3. I'd
            also like it if it were possible to reverse-engineer a film-loop, converting
            it back into its component sprites so you can make changes - that way I
            wouldn't have to keep them around on that dead-frame at the end. (It'd also
            be nice if you could run other stuff on film loops, e.g. change their color,
            ink settings, etc. But I suppose that's a lot to ask for an old feature
            that hasn't changed in at least 7 versions.)

Just out of curiosity - has any of this been changed at all in Dir11? I'm
            still on MX2004, so I don't know what-all has been improved yet. Crossing
            my fingers for a few recent annoyances like this...

• 3. Re: Film Loop Sprites going wonky...
              Level 7

"Darrel Hoffman" <no.address@all.com> wrote in message
              news:ftif5a$p0m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> scale with .with and .height does that behaviour.
              >> move with .loc, .locH and .locV should work.
              >>
              >> try to scale and move with sprite(x).rect, it's more calculation,
              >> but worked
              >> for me in most cases.
              >

%< snip

> program since I-don't-know-what version, but at least as far back as
              > 3. I'd also like it if it were possible to reverse-engineer a
              > film-loop, converting it back into its component sprites so you can
              > make changes - that way I wouldn't have to keep them around on that
              > dead-frame at the end. (It'd also

There is a way to do that:

"
              Note: If you need to edit a film loop and you have deleted the
              original Score data that it was based on, it is possible to restore
              the Score data for editing. Copy the film loop cast member to the
              Clipboard, select a cell in the Score, and then paste. Director pastes
              the original Score data instead of the film loop.
              "

http://livedocs.adobe.com/director/mx2004/release_update_en/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwh elp.htm?context=Director_MX_2004_Documentation&file=06_ani14.htm

Richard.

• 4. Film Loop Sprites going wonky...
                UdoGre
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                I'd also like it if it were possible to reverse-engineer a film-loop, converting
                it back into its component sprites so you can make changes - that way I
                wouldn't have to keep them around on that dead-frame at the end.

Hi Darrel,

you can do that: Copy your film loop member and paste it in your score in an area with enough room. After editing it, you have to create the film loop new, but that is no big thing ;-)

Udo