6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 11:44 AM by Draco_DK

Capturing Video8, quality = 3?

Draco_DK

I got som Video8 tapes that i want to transfere to my Mac.

Bought a Grass Valley ADVC 110 http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110 and a Canon G20 H8/Hi8 camcorder PAL.

Connected the camcorder via composite (Yellow video - Black to Audio L phono), the camera don't have stereo out and the tapes is from a Bauer VCC 830 camcorder bougt i 91' and don't think it records in stereo anyway, but the camara i long gone.

On some danish sites it recomende to use S-video out rather than composite, there for i orderet a S-Video cable and will get the audio like with composite.

My question goes on capturing the video in Premiere Pro CS5.

When i capture i get af bitrate of 3.6MB/sec but under the Video data block the settings are Normal = 3 in quality.

video_quality.jpg

Is it possible to change this, for higher quality capture? (Im aware that it can't get any better the quality of the film)

I was recomende to use DVCPRO50 when editing the capture film, because it has higer bitrate and more functions (colour boost) and since it dosent matter if i capture in a standard 48KHZ pal project or DVCPRO50, i think that the bit rate of 3.6Mb/sec i what the camara/film quality is.

I want to capture my Video8 tape in best quality, for later use i Premiere Pro and export DVD copy's to famerly members.

• 1. Re: Capturing Video8, quality = 3?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's not necessary to do so. In fact, it won't improve your video quality.

If you're capturing your video through the AVDC into a FireWire connection on your computer, your captured video should look identical to the original -- except digital.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Capturing Video8, quality = 3?
            Draco_DK Level 1

Steve => thanks for replying.

Yes, im using the Firewire connection and use capture in Premiere Pro.

Teh monitor on the camera is not very good, so i can't compare the film. but as you replyes it should be det same but digital.

But im just wondering, where this Quality = Normal can be changed, i dont see any settings for the capture with this option.

Do you know if S-video will give an video improvement? What I read (in danish) using Composite (Sinle phono yellow out), is the worst quality out put, and S-video is recomended if possible.

• 3. Re: Capturing Video8, quality = 3?

I don't know where you change the quality setting. But I'm sure if you post to the Community Forum at videomaker support site http://Muvipix.com you'll find someone who does. I know a number of people on that forum that use the Canopus unit.

That said, I don't think it will make much difference if you capture your video as composite or S-video. Your results should look identical to the original footage either way. And you can't get better than that!

• 4. Re: Capturing Video8, quality = 3?
                Draco_DK Level 1

Steve => Thanks for your help.

register at the muvipix.com and seached the forum and only found threads saying good things about canopus 110 and 300.

regading composite vs S-Video, is because if composite offers more quality loss than S-Video, then S-Video must offer better or closer to the original quality.. the best should be component (Y-Cb-Cr (RGB) for analog signal, if is true what i read.

• 5. Re: Capturing Video8, quality = 3?

Is there a reason you only searched and didn't ask on the Muvipix forums???

• 6. Re: Capturing Video8, quality = 3?
                    Draco_DK Level 1

Steve => I didn't got the time to formulate the question (im danish, and don't write much english, therefor it takes mere longer time to formulate my question) and right now its evening/night here.

Thats why i only seached the site, just to see if any already had a question/thread regarding the same problem/question like mine.

im sorry, if that made no senes