27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 8:36 AM by hudsonphotog RSS
      • 15. Re: Camera Raw 7
        JimHess CommunityMVP

Yes, I understand that. I guess I failed to ask my question properly. I had gone to great lengths to explain to this guy how ACR and Lightroom are related and how ACR 7 would not work with Photoshop CS 5. And then he writes back and says he copied ACR 7 from his Photoshop CS 6 installation over to CS 5, and said that it was working. He even showed screenshots. I was confused, perhaps dumbfounded. I asked the question, not to try to help him, but simply to ask WHY he was able to do that. I was not trying to help him get ACR 7 working in Photoshop CS 5. I was wondering if perhaps something had been overlooked by the development team.

• 16. Re: Camera Raw 7
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Not accusing you of anything.  It sounds as if you explained things just as they should be.  And as far as I can see you are right.

CameraRaw7WithCS5.jpg

To say that Adobe hopes their Camera Raw improvements (and they are amazing) will help sell Photoshop CS6 might be an understatement.  I really doubt they're going to leave such an obvious hole open.

-Noel

• 17. Re: Camera Raw 7
            ssprengel CommunityMVP

Discussions of software piracy and Adobe software hacking is what is frowned upon, which using ACR 7 with PS 5.5 could be interpreted as.

• 18. Re: Camera Raw 7
              EverOptimistic

Hi, as the author of the original query, thanks all for your comments and the subsequent dialogue. It may be naive of me howvere I am not sure that the use of ACR 7 with CS5 should necessarily be considered software piracy or hacking. Having read the dialogue it seems that what might be a backward compatible plugin ACR7 is available. Personally, I think that this is a positive situation, especially where the end user has upgraded one product but not another i.e. LR3 – LR4 but still using CS5. Perhaps Adobe might wish to consider this as a principle for future releases as there will always be a time when users need to take a product upgrade but sorting out differences between already co-existing products should not be one of these times.

• 19. Re: Camera Raw 7
                JimHess CommunityMVP

Everoptimist wrote:

Hi, as the author of the original query, thanks all for your comments and the subsequent dialogue. It may be naive of me howvere I am not sure that the use of ACR 7 with CS5 should necessarily be considered software piracy or hacking. Having read the dialogue it seems that what might be a backward compatible plugin ACR7 is available. Personally, I think that this is a positive situation, especially where the end user has upgraded one product but not another i.e. LR3 – LR4 but still using CS5. Perhaps Adobe might wish to consider this as a principle for future releases as there will always be a time when users need to take a product upgrade but sorting out differences between already co-existing products should not be one of these times.

I wouldn't be expecting backward compatibility. That has never happened in the past, and I seriously doubt that it will start now. The irony of this discussion is that I don't believe you are the one who made the original query. It was not in an Adobe forum. It was in another one that I watch, yet wonder why.

• 20. Re: Camera Raw 7
                  JimHess CommunityMVP

ssprengel wrote:

Discussions of software piracy and Adobe software hacking is what is frowned upon, which using ACR 7 with PS 5.5 could be interpreted as.

That thought didn't even enter my mind. I guess maybe I'm a little naïve. I was just wondering if there was something that I didn't understand, or if something had been overlooked. I'm not the best communicator. But I enjoy trying to help others and I just wanted to make sure I had my information straight.

• 21. Re: Camera Raw 7

Everoptimist wrote:

I am not sure that the use of ACR 7 with CS5 should necessarily be considered software piracy or hacking.

Be sure.  There is no chance they're going to make those two work together.

But Adobe will be releasing a version 6.7 of Camera Raw (the Release Candidate is already available) that will effect the compatibility you seek between LR4 and Photoshop CS5.

-Noel

• 22. Re: Camera Raw 7
                      ssprengel CommunityMVP

I could see a beta version of the plug-in not having the version check built-in, yet, so as to make it easier to test internally, relying on the installer to protect against illegal installs.  I would not expect the non-beta version of something from allowing mismatched version operation.

• 23. Re: Camera Raw 7

No need to speculate.  I tested it above (post 15).

-Noel

• 24. Re: Camera Raw 7
                          ssprengel CommunityMVP

I see a screenshot of a message that says it doesn’t work.  The question is how it seemed to work for someone on a different non-Adobe forum.

• 25. Re: Camera Raw 7

Possibilities:

1.  Someone pulling someone else's leg (e.g., by manipulating two screen grabs).

2.  What looked like Photoshop CS5 underneath but what was really CS6 beta with the light theme selected.

3.  It might work on a different system architecture, or in 32 bit (I tested 64).

4.  Someone did find a way to hack it.

-Noel

• 26. Re: Camera Raw 7
                              deejjjaaaa Community Member

5. ACR7 from a leaked CS6 prerelease (pre public beta)

• 27. Re: Camera Raw 7
                                Claudio dueviti Community Member

just to mention that this is 90% true. there is a bug somewhere that does not  allow the clarity >0 local adjustments made in LR 4 to be correctly read by CS5 6.7 acr. this is discussed here and I have found it myself on both my pc and Mac. hope they ll fix it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/974963

• 28. Re: Camera Raw 7
                                  hudsonphotog

In reply to original post. I believe that if, in Lightroom, you go to Settings > Process and change that from 2012 to 2010, that should end the ACR 7.0 message you're receiving.