7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 11:12 AM by TᴀW

Will this work on a Mac?

TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

The following appears as a row of circles and bullets in a Windows ExtendScript alert box:

alert ("●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌●◌");

Does it appear like circles and bullets on the Mac as well? I'm writing a script that uses these characters and the question is whether it will work for a Mac user as well.

Many thanks,

Ariel

• 1. Re: Will this work on a Mac?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Ariel – it's working for me. InDesign CS5.5 on Mac OS X 10.6.8:

Bildschirmfoto 2012-04-16 um 15.14.05.png

Uwe

• 2. Re: Will this work on a Mac?

Hi Uwe,

Thank you very much for trying it out. But in fact the result isn't so good for me. Take a look at the screenshot below of the script I'm writing. On the left is a listBox that lists all the paragraph styles in the document. The user can double-click on a style to select/deselect a style. (In the screenshot, AWTitle and a few others are deselected. AWEstimate is selected and others are selected).

The way I implemented this was simply to add to the beginning of the paragraphStyle name string a bullet or a circle. But in your screenshot on the Mac, the circles are much larger than the bullet, so it's not going to look to good.

Is there a way I can access a simple checkbox glyph -- one checked, the other unchecked? Or full and empty bullets that are the same size?

Thanks,

Ariel

Capture.PNG

• 3. Re: Will this work on a Mac?

The way I implemented this was simply to add to the beginning of the paragraphStyle name string a bullet or a circle. But in your screenshot on the Mac, the circles are much larger than the bullet, so it's not going to look to good.

@Ariel – this is font related.
              I think with a simple "alert" you cannot change the displayed font.
              With ScriptUI there should be more possibilities.

Uwe

• 4. Re: Will this work on a Mac?

Thanks Uwe. I think anything other than a built-in glyph (two glyphs, to

be precise) is going to be too fiddly. I could change the font, but then

I've got to find a Mac font that has what I'm looking for.

Maybe I'll just use a blank (deslected) and a bullet (selected).

There is also the option of adding an icon.  But I want the script to be

a single file. Is there any way of embedding a graphic inside a script,

I wonder.

If anyone has any ideas about how to implement this for the best, please

do share them!

Ariel

• 5. Re: Will this work on a Mac?

@Ariel – there is a way to embed a graphic inside a ScriptUI script.
                  I think Marc Autret showed a way for doing so.

Though I never tried…

See:
                  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4050443#4050443

Gerald Singelmann also showed something like this at:

http://indesign-faq.de/en/node/226

Uwe

• 6. Re: Will this work on a Mac?

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I'll give it a shot.

Ariel

• 7. Re: Will this work on a Mac?

I just realised that for my purposes, ScriptUI offers just what I'm

looking for: Every item in a listBox has a .checked property which draws

a tick at the beginning of the item it true, and a blank if not (while

reserving the necessary white space so that everything aligns). Usually

this is undefined, in which case no space is reserved.

It's not beautiful (at least not on Windows), but it will certainly do!

Thanks,

Ariel