3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2008 3:00 AM by Newsgroup_User

Writing to Word Docs

yevri
      I am creating a Flash application for sales people to type into fields and click Yes or No to a series of questions and I need that information to be written to Word docs on their laptops. The client wants the information in Word docs (or text files that they can open in Word). Can someone point me to a place where I can learn how to have Flash write to a word doc in a local folder (and perhaps, even create a new Word doc/text file) when they fill out the company name field based on what they type into that field - i.e. they type Apple into a field and a word doc/text file is created named apple.txt or apple.doc.

Thanks,

Brian
        • 1. Re: Writing to Word Docs
          Greg Dove Level 4
          There are two things here:
          a) writing to local files
          b) the word document format.

For (a)
          You cannot do that with flash inside a browser, it would have to go to a server if that was the case and then be processed on the server into a compatible format and made available as a download
          Or if its in a projector, I don't know: perhaps its possible to execute an external exe file (in the correct directory that permits a executable to be run from). I don't recall if its possible to pass a large string argument as a command line parameter. Something to check if you have a command line tool.
          Otherwise you can use a third party projector wrapper that gives you a file system API
          If you can do it in as3, then make an AIR app to do it.

For (b)
          Perhaps you can make something or I think the lastest versions of word might support an open xml format... I think that was the intention for recent Word versions, but I'm not up to date on that.

Lastly you might consider when it's possible to embed a flash doc inside an activex control in a word document and create another document using VBA commands in word called from ExternalInterface calls from the embedded flash content. I have never done this, its been a long time since I tried that and it was in Powerpoint, and I didn't try calling VBA functions ... but perhaps its worth investigating.
          • 2. Re: Writing to Word Docs
            Level 7
            You can certainly write a new local text file using one of the 'mdm'
            filesystem functions in your ActionScript and publishing as a Zinc
            executable. (see www.multidmedia.com) .

You probably could do this also with a projector, though I haven't tried it.

Check out buzzword (www.buzzword.com). This was presumably made in Flex and
            plays in the Flash Player. Looks like you can create and edit MS Word docs
            there.

HTH,

Marc Lee

"yevri" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ftgfl5$gns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I am creating a Flash application for sales people to type into fields and
            > click Yes or No to a series of questions and I need that information to be
            > written to Word docs on their laptops. They client wants the information
            in
            > Word docs (or text files that they can open in Word). Can someone point me
            to a
            > place where I can learn how to have Flash write to a word doc in a local
            folder
            > (and perhaps, even create a new Word doc/text file) when they fill out the
            > company name field based on what they type into that field - i.e. they
            type
            > Apple into a field and a word doc/text file is created named apple.txt or
            > apple.doc.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Brian
            >

• 3. Re: Writing to Word Docs
              Level 7
              Hi Brain,

Your just in luck !

We've already done this for a customer, near enough exactly the same
              requirements.

We've created a JTool that talks directly to Word and it will amend an
              existing word template and replace specific words/keywords/fields in the
              files from the ones type into the Flash file.

Works extremely well.

If you would like a demo, then please email us on support@flashjester.com
              and refer to this posting.

We'll also be able to answer any question you might have.

Regards
              FlashJester Support Team

e. - support@flashjester.com
              w. - www.flashjester.com

"This has been one of the most impressive and thoroughly pleasant
              experiences of customer support I have ever come across - astounding!"
              Director - hedgeapple