3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2012 4:13 AM by Peter Spier

font problems

tal1985

i have created a document in In Design using a font i download from the web.

I printed the document as PDF file.

the problem appears when i e mail the document. the font i used is changed to a diffrent font on the other person computer.

what can i do to avoid this font change when e mailing the document?

• 1. Re: font problems
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Many free fonts downloaded from the web are crap.

Use one of the fonts which come with InDesign.

• 2. Re: font problems
            W. Bravenboer Level 1

We make lots of family-cards, for births and marriages, and sometimes people want a specific font, only available from the internets... And many of these fonts can cause issues when exporting or printing. What I do is create a layer with the fonts converted to outlines, this works for those pesky font-issues

I keep the 'original' layer for changes later of course, I hide this layer so I will not get included in the PDF.

• 3. Re: font problems
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

tal1985 wrote:

I printed the document as PDF file.

the problem appears when i e mail the document. the font i used is changed to a diffrent font on the other person computer.

what can i do to avoid this font change when e mailing the document?

Regardless of whether the font was free or not, and of the quality of that font, the problem here is in how the PDF was created -- printed rather than exported -- and a failure to embed the font. InDesign automatically embeds all non-protected fonts when exporting, but not when printing/distilling PDF. That doesn't guarantee that exporting will solve the problem -- some free fonts are restrivted and cannot be embedded, but most fonts from reputable foundaries will work fine.