1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2012 11:03 AM by DominicCrozet RSS

My first PC build for video editing purposes

DominicCrozet Community Member

I have done some research into building my own video editing PC. I want to spend about 800 pounds. I will list some of the components I have so far. Any suggestion would be welcomed and appreciated.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) Motherboard - £159.98

4 x Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory - £12.76 each

For CPU I am going to wait for the Ivy Bridge Core 17 to come out

PNY nVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 Graphics Card with 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express

£210.97

I have heard that it does not matter how fast the RAM is but it is more important how much you have. My Mobo can take 2800 Mhz. I have also heard that the graphic card is important when video editing. It acts as a secondary CPU which enhances the performance.

Is all the above information correct?

Thanks

Dominic

• 1. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
          John T Smith MVP

About the GPU... http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe- premiere-pro.html

Also be sure you have enough hard drives... I edit AVCHD with 3 drives as a home hobbyist... for professional use you might want more drives, or raid

My 3 hard drives to edit AVCHD are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 3. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks John for the advice on the hardrives and also thanks Harm for showing me your really useful link. According to Harm's 'What PC to build' I may need to consider 4 x ITb. I am new to editing but I would like my build to be at a descent level for a professional level as I have some offers for work. However, this wont be until October. I would like to know why I would need so many drives? I imagine the answer is to do with the size of the video files and of course my work would have to be backed up.

John you say that you have 3 drives. One for software instillations, other for the editing and lastly for all video files. If I was to buy 4  X 1Tb would it be sensible to have the same structure as your 3 drives with my fourth drive as the backup? Also, could I start of with 1 X 1Tb and do all what I need and then buy the others in the future?

Anyway, I will wait for your response.

Cheers in advance

Dominic 

• 4. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
              John T Smith MVP

My 3 drives work for ME as a home hobbyist where the last bit of speed is not required

The benefit of 4 drives is you have your video INPUT on #3 and OUTPUT on #4 so no waiting while a single video drive switches from reading input to writing output

Again, the sizes I quote for #1 and #2 work well for me... but, with the small price difference, 4 x 1T is also good

Do not skimp on case and power supply... you need a full tower case for airflow (lots of case fans) and a "Gold" 850watt power supply

I built with a mid-tower case, and wish I had gone full tower http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

• 5. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Hi John,

I have also heard that I will need the larger case for my type of build. Concerning my power supply. Why would I need 850Watt as opposed to say 1000Watt. What determines the Watts. My GPU Im thinking of getting GTX 570 needs 600 Watts. Does my CPS have to have more Watts than the components and are there any other components to look out for in these terms. 

Cheers

Dominic

• 6. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
                  Harm Millaard Community Member

Dominic,

Your questions have been answered many times in one form or another. Just have a look at the hardware FAQ section, the most popular discussions on the right hand side and follow the links in those articles to for instance eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5

• 7. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
                    John T Smith MVP

>Why would I need 850Watt as opposed to say 1000Watt

Go to the link Harm provided... I can only say that an 850w PS works well in MY build... you may need 1000w for YOUR build

Be sure to get a case with mounting for LOTS of case fans... I have 5 - top, front, 2 side to blow air IN and one back (plus PS) to blow warm air out

Large 120mm (or larger) fans spin slower than 80mm case fans, so do not make as much noise

• 8. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

I have had a look at the CPS calculator and it gave a figure of 800 Watts. I am considering getting 1000 Watts. Firstly to be on the safe side. Just in case I forgot to add something I should have done and also if I want to add something in extra  in the future. I am even thinking more than 1000Watts. Is this a good idea?

My thoughts are now turning towards 'fans.' Will I need to buy these seperately or do these simply come with the components I am planning to buy?

Cheers

Dominic  

• 9. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
                        John T Smith MVP

> 'fans.' Will I need to buy these seperately or do these simply come with the components I am planning to buy

You will have to look at the specifications for what you buy, and then "fill up" as needed

• 10. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
                          RjL190365 Community Member

Here is the biggest reason why you need multiple drives in an editing system:

1) If you have only a single hard drive for absolutely everything including the OS, think of the SATA connection as a single-lane road with reversible traffic controls. And because of the single traffic lane, traffic can only move in one direction at a time. And a certain block of traffic in that direction must pass completely through before any traffic is allowed to move in the opposite direction. That's what's called "half-duplex". An analogy to this would be the reversible-direction express lanes in the middle of Chicago's Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94).

2) Even as separate drives, hard disks are limited in maximum sequential transfer bandwidth. The fastest 7200 RPM mechanical hard drives can hit just under 190 MB/s on the outer tracks, and drop off to around 80 MB/s on the inner tracks. That's one reason why a hard drive should not be filled to its maximum capacity. It's also why multiple drives in a RAID array can improve sequential performance, especially if you're working with RED 4K and uncompressed HD material.

• 11. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks RjL,

That is a really clear description with analogies that make it very clear for me to understand WHY mulitple drives would improve my PC's performance.

I have heard that I would not need many GB for a drive that supports the OS.  - Say 350 GB. However, it would be useful to have a 2nd drive that does have a lot of GB - Say 1T or even 2T. Is this informatoin correct?

Cheers

Dominic

• 12. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Case

The size of my 'Asrock extreme 6' says (ATX). Is this big enough for a full tower case? Also what does exteneded ATX mean?

Cheers

Dominic 

• 13. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Yeah. Google is your friend.

• 14. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
                                  Alan Craven Community Member

Extended ATX means that the motherboard is larger than a standard ATX.  Unfortunately there is no standard for extended.  You will have to check the actual size from the specification of the motherboard that you will find on the manufacturer's web site.

You will also need to check that your chosen case will accept an extended ATX motherboard, most do not. One that does is the Lian-Li PC90.

As Harm said, Google is your friend!

• 15. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks I will check ASrock's homepage for specifications. From what I have read the extended ATX supports a full tower case. This is the size I would really like, so fingers cross.

Just wanna say thanks to everybody for all their help as I am getting very close to knowing what I need for my build.

Dominic

• 16. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

It is usually the depth of the case that matters for ATX extended motherboards, rather than the height.  Most suppliers in the UK do state whether or not the case will accept extended motherboards.

• 17. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
                                        Bill Gehrke MVP

DominicCrozet wrote:

From what I have read the extended ATX supports a full tower case.

I would just like to correct the statement above so it is clear in your mind.  An Extended ATX motherboard requires a case that is rated for E-ATX or Extended ATX, just because it is a tower case it may or may not support your motherboard.  Look at these NewEgg cases as examples and you have to drill down to the specifications to verify the compatibility

• 18. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
                                          RjL190365 Community Member

Actually, Alan, yes, there is a specific requirement for Extended ATX:

The E-ATX case has eight total expansion slots. Standard ATX cases have only seven total expansion slots. E-ATX cases must accept E-ATX or any of the smaller variants of ATX.

• 19. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

My PC-90 qualifies with a vengeance, then - it has 10 pci slots!  But it's height is still less than many full towers at 505 mm.  It will also take 400 mm long graphics cards.

• 20. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks everybody for your responses. I had a look at Bill's newegg case recommendations and believe I have found my case.

XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case  $79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011

It almost sounds to good to be true. It is 22.05" x 9.45" x 20.47. That is big isnt it? It supports my motherboard. It has a great cooling system. Its cheap. However, It has sold out. I wonder why? I cant find it on a UK website so I may have to ship it over but I am not in a rush.

By the way, I have bought my Asrock extreme 6 z77 Mobo. If anybody wants pictures of me asleep in bed with me cuddling up to my motherB; please dont hesitate to make a request.

Cheers

Dominic

• 21. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes
                                                RMO2011 Community Member

John T Smith wrote:

About the GPU... http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playba ck-engine-and-adobe-premiere-pro.html

Also be sure you have enough hard drives... I edit AVCHD with 3 drives as a home hobbyist... for professional use you might want more drives, or raid

My 3 hard drives to edit AVCHD are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Hi John,

your setup inspired me to use a similar three-HDD-version while I wait for harddisk prices to go down - at least a bit.

"AVCHD" and "hobbyist" sounds fine to me. A pragmatic setup. If it works for you, it might for me too.

I am on Windows 7 Professional, 32GB Samsung RAM, i7 3930K. 3 WD Black Caviar.

Q: On your disk 2: Did you partition the disk to force the Page file to run on the fast "outside" of the disk? I have googled the subject of partitioning but the answers are confusing. Some say that the "classic" way of seeing things works fine - and that you get higher performance by placing a partion #1 containing the Page file. And can avoid fragmentation too. Others say that modern HDDs are devided using some kind of a spiral layout and this would make all patitions equally performing.

So, what is your (and other's) view on this matter? Are you patitioning your drive 2?

Further:

Q2: When you directed your swap to disk 2 - did you chose not to have any page file on your disk 1 (for Mem dumps and some (older?) programs that want a pageing file on the system disk)?

Q3: How big should one guess that the page file should be - considering the RAM amount, processor speed and the AVCHD codecs? Do the old rules still apply - for instance to dubble the RAM amount + 50% extra for security - or is this old school antiques?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

• 22. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

I dont know if I am in the right area to ask questions about camcorders but I'll try anyway.

I have an offer of work in October to record and edit two weddings. However, I wont be paid very much as this will only be my second and third time I have done this. I would like things (career wise) to take off from the weddings in october but obviously I have no idea how things will pan out.

I know they are 13 years old but I am thinking about getting a canon xl. This is because I have no idea how my venture will turn out and a good reason not to splash the cash. I have read that the xl is still considered a good camcorder. However, I have also read that somebody had problems trying to edit using the xl.

If anybody has any knowledge or reccomondations, it would be much appreciated

Dominic  

• 23. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Hi there, its been a while.
                                                    I have bought the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155). The next thing on the list is the CPU and I was thinking about getting the The Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge but I decided to wait until the Ivy Bridge came out. As I am sure you know it is now possible to buy it and I am considering buying the Core i7-3770 CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 8Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0) from amazon at £228.90.
                                                    Just two questions. Will this be compatible with my Mobo and is this a good CPU to buy?
                                                    Thanks in advance
                                                    Dominic

• 25. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Cheers Harm,

I have bought my CPU but it will take a little while to arrive with all the jubilee celebrations/holidays. I have now got 2 out of the 3 major things I need for my PC Build for video editing purposes

AsRock Extreme 6 z77 (Mobo)

Core 17 - 3770 Ivy Bridge (CPU)

The last larger item is the GPU. Just one question. Would there be a big difference in performance between buying a Nvidia gtx 570 and the gtx 670?

Thanks in advance

Dominic

• 26. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Some difference. If the ratio between 580 and 680 also holds up for the 570 - 670, you will have around 10 - 15% performance increase, but more importantly, less energy consumption and thus cooler.

• 27. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks for the advice. That was really helpful.

My financial resources is looking good so it looks like I can get my gpu soon. However, splashing the cash is still an issue. I know that the nvidia gtx 690 is way out of my budget. I would financially prefer to go for the gtx 570 but at an absolute stretch I could go for the 670.

Harm has pointed out a performance difference of max 15%. That does not sound too much. However, there is the power consumption to consider.

A man in a computer fair said to me the 500 series are dead/finished. You should only be looking at the 600. But he did not explain why.

Perhaps I could go for the 570 and in the future buy another 570 and have them in SLI?

Anyway, if anyone could give me advice on this it would be much appreciated.

Dominic

• 29. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

I have ordered most of my components for pc build for video editing purposes. Here is the list. Any critism would be welcome.

MOTHERBOARD 

AsRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, USB 3.0, 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection)

£ 145 – Amazon

CPU

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 8Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

£ 230 – Amazon

RAM

Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 XMS 16GB (4x4GB) 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 Four Memory Module Kit

£70– Amazon

GPU

Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670 DirectCU II Graphics Card

£ 350 – Amazon

CPS

OCZ 850W ZX Series PSU 80+ Gold Rated Ultra Quiet Double Ball Bearing Fan and EU Cable (– Pos Probs – cables short especially for CPU. May need CPU extension cables but these are cheap. Also says compatible with Sandy Bridge NOT ivy bridge. Im assuming it is compatible though)

£ 100 – Amazon

BLUE RAY 

LG BH10LS38.AUAU 10x Inter

£62.00 – Amazon           

CASE

BNIB ANTEC 1200 (TWELVE HUNDRED) BLACK STEEL ATX FULL TOWER COMPUTER CASE £ 120 – ebay

The only thing left to buy are the hard drives. I have decided on a system  of a

C: Boot drive 500 gb (7200) for the OS

Pair of drives in RAID 2 x 2 tb

E: Export drive. Single (7200) 3 tb

Somebody suggested to me that I should get SSD. However, am I right in saying that these drives, although fast, are too small for video editing purposes and also too expensive? Perhaps I should wait until they get bigger and less expensive. A future upgrade.

Thanks for any comments in advanced

Dominic

• 30. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Looks good. Budget is the limiting factor when deciding to use an SSD or not. A 500 GB boot disk is around € 65, a 256 GB SSD is around € 280 and the only thing to show for that expenditure is bragging rights and faster loading of programs. It does not help improve editing performance.

• 31. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks Harm. It's good that a live forum expert has confirmed my doubts about SSD. This was helpful.

Well, I am almost at the end of my build. I will of course have to build it but I have some IT geeks who will help me so there should not be any problems.

If you are reading this and are thinking of building a pc for the first time, I would highly recommend it. What I have enjoyed the most is the process. I am not an expert but I have certainly learnt a lot of things a long the way and now can keep up with geek language.

I initially decided to build my own PC because I had a lot of footage of my wedding; which is excatly a year ago today. The filming was principally done by my brother because our budget was tight. After our honeymoon I tried to edit it on my cheap Acer PC and I didnt reallly get anywhere. I did a bit of research and realised that I would have to build my own or buy I really expensive Apple Mac. I decided on the more difficult option which is a journey that has certinaly given me a strong sense of achievement.

I will soon have a new addition to the family. I am really excited and it is due next Sunday. However, my wife is getting really irritated by it all and hopes i will finally stop talking about it.

Many thanks to all your helpful comments

Dominic  

• 32. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Hi there,

I have built my computer and it is a dream. It's Fast, powerful and quiet. However, I have installed a 3tb hard drive but its only letting me use 2tb. Does it have anything to do with the OS?

Thanks in advance

Dominic 

• 34. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks for the info Harm. It is going to take me a little bit of time to get my head around it but i can see that it is really useful

• 35. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

To anyone who can help,

In my cs6 after I click 'new project' I am unable to click in the bar marked 'Renderer'. I know that it would be useful for the cs6 to utilise my GPU. My GPU is an Asus Nvidia gtx 670. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Dominic 

• 37. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks for the tip Harm,

I am having problems with transitions in premiere pro cs6. When there is a transition between one video to another I get a glimpse of a previous cut that is supposed to be positioned somewhere else. It only lasts less than a second but it disrupts the flow and is really annoying. Perhaps I am in the wrong department in the forums as I know this is meant for 'hardware' questions. If this is the case could somebody please direct me to the right place for my questioned to be answered.

Thanks

Dominic

• 38. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Dominic,

It sounds like you do not have sufficient handles, or better said a lack of handles on these transitions, like in this case:

AAABBCCC|||XXXYYYZZZ where each letter indicates a different clip and III indicates the transition.

Now, if the start of the transition uses part of the BB clip it means your transition is too long, so frames from the BB clip are used instead of only from the CCC clip, as you intended. Or alternatively, if parts of YYY show up at the end of the transition where you only wanted XXX to show, it means you do not have sufficient handles so in those cases either shorten the transition or extend the handles from CCC and XXX.

This is pretty difficult to explain on paper, but I hope you get my drift.

• 39. Re: My first PC build for video editing purposes

Thanks for your explanation. It was very clear and I have checked to see if my transitions have extended onto an unwanted clip but it appears that this is not the case. I think my explanation of the problem could have been clearer. I hope this is better. The three III indicate the transition.

AAABBBCCCIIIDDDEEEFFFGGGHHHJJJKKKLLLMMMNNN

Lets say clip C was once part of N and was cut right at the beginning of N. When it is making the transition between C and D, I am getting a glimpse at the beginning of N. (I can see on my timeline that I have not extended the transition that far) However if I don’t make any transitions between C and the next clip I will not see the beginning of N. When I place the timeline directly in the centre of clip C and D and pressed Ctrl D and watch my changes I see N appear.

If you could help me that would be great but if you don’t have a clue what I saying that is OK

Cheers

Dominic    

1 2 Previous Next