10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 7:13 AM by Curt Y

Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running

DLC-Photography

I have a Windows 64-bit system, Vista Home Premium.

Had CS4 installed initially, ran without problems.

I got the CS5 upgrade, and installed it without problems.  I have copied over various actions and other customizations from the CS4 installation folders to the CS5 installation folders, installed 3rd party plug-ins into CS5, etc.

So to save on Disk space, I want to Uninstall CS4 (and with it Bridge Version 4 as well).

I've done some searching here, and apparently this is potentially not as straightforward as one would expect.  Various problems have been reported, apparently confirmed by Adobe personnel, that Uninstall CS4 also removes CS5 files, rendering it unable to run, etc.

So - what is the proper procedure to follow to successfully Uninstall CS4 without creating problems for CS5?  Do I need to deactivate the license for CS4?  What other specific steps?

Thanks.

Don Cohen

www.dlcphoto.com

• 1. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Hi Don

Uninstall CS4, then reinstall CS5?   ISTR that uninstalling previous versions leaves the assets folders (like plugins) still on your drive so you can use them from the newer version.

• 2. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
            Curt Y Level 7

The major problem that some users experience is that once CS4 is uninstalled, the fille associations revert back to CS4.  Fiddling with the File Type Assoication in Bridge and the OS does not seem to fix the problem.

There are 2 ways to deal with that if it happens to you.  You can uninstall CS5 also and then run the Adobe Script Cleaner or go into the Adobe registry and make a simple change.

Try it and see what you get.

Are you going to upgrade to CS6?  If so the will be out soon so you might want to do it all at once.

• 3. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
              DLC-Photography Level 1

I appreciate the replies.

Regarding CS6: hadn't thought about that.  Probably upgrade eventually, not sure if immediately.

So basically, it's a "see what you get" proposition?!

Seems kind of crazy to have such a basic process be so uncertain and unpredictable.

Don

• 4. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
                station_one Level 3

DLC-Photography wrote:

…Seems kind of crazy to have such a basic process be so uncertain and unpredictable…

Oh, I can give you certainty and predictability from first-hand experience:  you'll have plenty of grief if you uninstall CS4 without first uninstalling CS5.  Plenty of grief.

The thing is that the uninstallers are pretty ruthless in their operation, and uninstalling CS4 will uninstall some common program support files used also by CS5.  To make matters worse, once the CS4 uninstaller has messed up your CS5 install, the CS5 uninstaller may not work at all afterwards.

My advice:  Either let CS4 be, or completely uninstall CS5 first, then uninstall CS4, and finally re-install CS5 and apply all the applicable updates to CS5, if any.

Trust me, there's nothing uncertain or unpredictable about this.  Grief is guaranteed.  

• 5. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
                  station_one Level 3

BTW, if you bought CS5 after a certain date, which I believe to be March 29, and before the end of April, you get CS6 for free when it comes out, presumably next month.  Check the dates at the Adobe store.

• 6. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
                    DLC-Photography Level 1

Regarding your first post:

This describes a ridiculous situation.  Does anybody from Adobe respond here?  Any official comment on what seems to be a sad, and totally unnecessary state of affairs?

Regarding your second post:

I actually bought it near the end of 2011.  Adobe had announced that CS6 Upgrade would require having a CS5 license - a change in their prior policy of allowing upgrades from any prior CSx version.  I was obviously not very happy about this, but found a somewhat discounted price for the upgrade, and did it before the end of 2011.  For my needs, an "every other" Upgrade has been sufficient in the past, but Adobe seemed determined to prevent that.

And then imagine my chagrin when they later announced a modification of this policy, so that I *could* have gone from CS4 directly to CS6 with a normally priced Upgrade. 

And now add this ridiculous Uninstall situation to this, and I'm not very pleased with Adobe's treatment of its customers....

• 7. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
                      station_one Level 3

Some Adobe Photoshop engineers and staff do contribute as volunteers on their own time, but the members of the installer teams generally do not.  It would be an understatement to describe the people who write the installers and uninstallers as an embarrassment to Adobe staff in general.

• 8. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
                        Curt Y Level 7

DLC-Photography wrote:

This describes a ridiculous situation.  Does anybody from Adobe respond here?  Any official comment on what seems to be a sad, and totally unnecessary state of affairs?

And now add this ridiculous Uninstall situation to this, and I'm not very pleased with Adobe's treatment of its customers....

I wrote of the problems regarding file association of un-installing previous versions to the CS6 Beta forum.  Was asking if this problem would be fixed before release of CS6.

An Adobe employee responded that he has seen no such problems, and he uninstall programs constantly.

Included a link to post where numerous users had problems and a soultuon to modify the registry in photoshop to reference correct version. 

He did not respond after that so don't know it anything is being considered.

If others can list their problems with uninstalling previous versions in this thread I will include it in my previous post.

• 9. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
                          Yammer Level 4

I came here looking for a happy tail of removing CS5 once happy with CS6, but it seems that no one is prepared to volunteer!

I had similar problems removing CS3 and CS4 in the past (knackered file associations and icons), and I'm assuming that removing CS5 will be the same story. It's amazing how these Adobe bugs survive several versions.

I'll probably just remove both before settling on CS6. I can't bear the thought of broken installations wasting more of my time. If anyone has managed to remove CS5 without removing CS6 please chime in.

• 10. Re: Want to Uninstall CS4 now that CS5 is fully installed and running
                            Curt Y Level 7

I have had several discussions with Adobe on the issue.  They have looked at it by trying to reproduce the condition on their computers by deleting old versions and looking at results.  The file association problem was not easily reproduced, and don't believe they ever got one of their computers to exhibit the problem.

So at this time there is no "one size fits all" fix for the file association problem when deleting old versions.  It appears to be random as it does not happen each time and therefore may be specific to certain computer configurations.    But they are still looking at the issue.  

The error appears to be in the registry.  Here is a fix for a Win7 machine that TinusHDCA came up with.  It has worked for several users that have tried it.

Go into into the Registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command, and changed the (Default) from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1" (so changed CS5 to CS6) - and now I see 'Adobe Photoshop CS6' in my 'Open with' list when right-clicking an image...