8 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2012 10:44 PM by bluntwo

Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel

bluntwo

With all other versions of Premiere Elements that I have used with windows XP I have been able to move the Current Time Indicator by rolling the mouse wheel ( After clicking on the advance by one frame button first).

After moving to Premiere Elements 10 and Windows 7 I have been unable to use this most desired feature. Is it no longer possible or is there a way to enable it ?.

• 1. Re: Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Apparently not. Although I was never aware of this feature in earlier versions either.

Where is the Advance By One Frame button?

• 2. Re: Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel
            bluntwo Level 1

The advance one frame buttons are called step back/forward and are the buttons either side of the play button below the monitor window.

I have now discovered that I can move the CTI with the mouse wheel by holding the mouse pointer over one of the step Back/forward buttons and then roll the wheel. I find it very handy for quickly locating a point for a cut.

• 3. Re: Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel
              nealeh Level 5

You don't need to hover the mouse over, or click, the Step Forward / Step Back buttons. Just use the wheel anywhere within the red block in the following image. Note also that you can scrub through the timeline by click-dragging across the CTI box (yellow block), or click-dragging across the Shuttle (green block).

1.png

If you click within the Monitor image so that the handles display (see red blocks below) then you can use the wheel anywhere within the Monitor pane to move the CTI back and forth. Again no clicking necessary.

2.png

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel
                bluntwo Level 1

I now find that when I open the program I am able to move the CTI one frame with each roll of the wheel but if I zoom in or out the timeline it then results in the CTI stepping 7 frames with each roll of the wheel.  If I minimize and then maximize again the wheel again reverts to a one frame step with each roll of the wheel. Any clues please?.

• 5. Re: Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is your mouse attached through the mouse port or USB?

If USB, have you tried it through the mouse port?

Have you tried more than one mouse?

This is a unique problem, blunt. You're going to have to do some troubleshooting on your own.

• 6. Re: Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel
                    bluntwo Level 1

I have just taken delivery of Steve Grisetti's book "Photoshop and Premiere Elements 10 " ( I am in Australia)  and have carried out the recommended steps to "Optimize Vista and Windows 7 for best performance" in the hope that this might solve the problem but alas no change.  I have tried several mice/mouses, wireless,corded,USB,mouse port but no joy there either.

I have now established that it is only after I minimise the  program and then maximise it that the CTI moves one frame per wheel roll, this continues until I perform any action and then it jumps 7 frames per wheel roll however if I use the left/right keyboard keys the CTI moves one frame like the step/forward back buttons in the program. 

As I have become accustomed to rolling the wheel and find this the most efficient method of moving the CTI I am keen to restore this function. At this point I am unsure whether it is a quirk of the program or something peculiar to my computer and I would be interested to hear from other users , perhaps "nealeh" , on what happens when they roll the mouse wheel to move the CTI.

• 7. Re: Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel
                      nealeh Level 5

Quirk of the program I think. I achieved a single frame advance (once) by changing vertical wheel scroll to '1' but that seems to have been a fluke as I couldn't get it to happen again.

My mouse is a Logitech one and the wheel button is not smooth - it sort of clicks as you move it forward or back. I'm just wondering if it would work for a single frame advance with an older style smooth rolling mouse.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Moving Current Time Indicator with mouse wheel
                        bluntwo Level 1

Thanks for the information Neale.  I am now convinced that it is quirk/fault of the program.  I have tried many mouse/mouses/mice and get the same result with them all. My usual mouse is a logitech M215 wireless one with a step type wheel like yours.

I have used Premiere Elements versions 2,4 and 7 previously and have become very accustomed to scrubbing the CTI to the approximate point and then rolling the wheel to precisely locate the cut point so I am dissapointed to find that this no longer works in version 10.

I will try notifying Adobe of this condition in the hope that they give it consideration in either an update or the inevitable version 11.  Meanwhile I will have to get used to clicking the step forward/back buttons or using the keyboard.

Many thanks.