17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 1:18 PM by sinious

Help

dragonborn12

I have just started to learn Adobe flash cs5.5 an i am having problems with outputting the swf file i created for the simple hello world! program.

When i test movie i have no output printed from the     trace("Hello World");  AND I GET A BLANK WHITE SCREEN BOX APPEARING.

IM USING VISTA HOME PREMIUM.

• 1. Re: Help
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't have any content on the stage, all you will see is a blank screen (color depends on the background color setting).  The trace() command prints to the Output panel, not the movie screen.  It should pop up behind the scenes.  If you close the movie screen it should be visible.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help
            dragonborn12 Level 1

Hi Ned

thanks for your response but even when i close the movie screen it is not visible in the output panel i have even done this exercise many times over and the command still fails to show in the output pannel.

• 3. Re: Help

Can you show a screenshot of where you have this code and the output panel after you've tested?  Also, what are you doing to initiate a test of the file?

• 4. Re: Help
                dragonborn12 Level 1

has nobody got anything on this ( i was thinking it could be something to do with the settings but as im a newbie dont want to mess to much with what i dont know.

• 5. Re: Help
                  dragonborn12 Level 1

Capture.JPG

Here is the screen shot when i go to control Test.

• 6. Re: Help

Select the first frame of the timeline and with the Actions panel opened enter just...

Main();

• 7. Re: Help
                      dragonborn12 Level 1

ok i have done what you said then when i went to test it showed a compiler error 1136: incorrect number of arguments.Expected.1

• 8. Re: Help
                        sinious Most Valuable Participant

In the screenshot Main is set as the document class so you don't need to do that on frame 1.

Is the FLA and the Main.as located in the same folder? By default it will require that Main.as be in the location you're publishing to so hit publish settings and make sure they're in the same folder.

They don't need to be in the same folder but if you want them in different folders then you need to go into your publish settings, then in actionscript 3.0 settings (the wrench icon next to it) and choose the Source Path tab. By default it adds the folder named "." (a period). That means the same folder as your FLA. If you have Main.as in another location hit the browse button and add that to your source paths so it can find your Main.as.

Otherwise what you have there will work perfectly fine. But if Flash cannot find Main.as it will auto-create one for you and not even give you any errors.

• 9. Re: Help

If that wasn't enough to make it kick in, then remove what I said and replace it with simply:

trace("Hello World");

If that doesn't work, then the problem is not in your coding or file locations..

• 10. Re: Help
                            dragonborn12 Level 1

no they are both saved into the same folder on my desktop and still nothing do you think it could be a problem with my settings.

• 11. Re: Help
                              dragonborn12 Level 1

Capture.JPG

Just to show i have them all in the same folder. Do you think this problem could be a bug or missing software?

• 12. Re: Help
                                dragonborn12 Level 1

trace("Hello World!"); is not working either

( i think i might go mad with this one)!

• 13. Re: Help

edit: you reposted

Ok you have some serious file name issues there. Your FLA should not have a period at the end of the name. Rename it to helloWorld.fla and remove that period.

Second you named your HTML file with a .fla extension. Change that back in HTML publish settings to helloWorld.html.

Third the SWF export settings should be exporting a file named helloWorld.swf not helloWorld.fla.

Lastly rename Main.as. to Main.as (take the period off the end). That's your problem. It can't find Main.as because it has the extra period at the end.

• 14. Re: Help
                                    dragonborn12 Level 1

Just though of something could it be that i have flash player 11 on my computer and not flash player 10 if so how do i change to 11?

• 15. Re: Help

If the trace is not working by itself, there is something more profound wrong with your Flash installation.  TRy creating a new file and only place that line in the actions panel.  If you do not see the output show Hello World, the problem lies in the prgram.

• 16. Re: Help
                                        dragonborn12 Level 1

Thanks for your time guys you have been very helpful.

• 17. Re: Help

Glad you got it fixed, thanks for the pic. I never would have guessed that was the issue.