1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 11:22 AM by Steve Werner

(.epub) embedded Video does not run on the iPad 3

AlexSever

Hi there!

I have created an eBook with a video embedded (inDesign CS 5.5) ! try to read it with iBook on my iPad3 but instead of the video there is just a black rectangle displayed! On my iPhone 3 everything works fine! Any idea?

thanx 4 help

alex

• 1. Re: (.epub) embedded Video does not run on the iPad 3
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are two issues: (1) You must select one of the Controller skins or there will be no way to start the movie.

Technically, here's what's going on:

In CS5.5, if you don’t turn on the Controller, the video tag section looks like this:

<body>

<div id="VideoTest.html" xml:lang="en-US">

<div class="image">

<video id="WildHorses_HD_iPad_400x300_29.97_800.mp4" width="400" height="300">

<source src="images/WildHorses_HD_iPad_400x300_29.97_800.mp4" type="video/mp4"/>

</video>

</div>

In CS5.5, if you turn on the Controller option, InDesign adds a controls=“controls” attribute to the video tag. iBooks expects to see that so it can display the controller to play the movie.

(2) Even if you select a Poster image for the video, it will not show up. That is because of a bug in InDesign CS5.5. It doesn't include all the stuff necessary in the EPUB file. You'll have to edit the CSS and one of the directory files to show the location of the poster image. You'll need to look at Elizabeth Castro's EPUB on including audio and video in EPUB to include a poster image:

Formatting ebooks - EPUB Straight to the Point