5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 6:49 AM by MutantOne

Where are Digital ID's for Acrobat 7 and 8 located?

MutantOne

We recently upgraded many users from Acrobat 7 or 8 to X. Many of these users had created Digital IDs. When they try to use them, they are prompted to provide the location of these ID's. What is the default location of the Acrobat 7 or 8 Digital ID's? Most users with this problem have Windows 7. A couple have Windows XP SP3. Thanks, in advance, for your answer.

• 1. Re: Where are Digital ID's for Acrobat 7 and 8 located?
          EnterpriseHelp Adobe Employee

They could have been saved anywhere. The default Acrobat store on Win 7 is C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0\Security\xxxxxx.pfx, but users don't have to use that store. There's also a Windows Certificate Store.

Your old Acrobat installs are so far back I'm not sure. . . probably under the User directory for the OS. Do a machine search for pfx or p12 files.

The other issue I see is I suspect these are new machines or old machines with the new OS (because Acrobat 7/8 wouldn't work on Win 7 anyway). If that's true, the digital IDs wouldn't exist any more would they?

Ben

• 2. Re: Where are Digital ID's for Acrobat 7 and 8 located?
            MutantOne Level 1

Hi Ben;

Actually, Acrobat 7/8 will work in Windows 7. True, not all the features work, but most of the functions we required did. One such function was the ability to create Digital Signatures. Regarding your suggested solution, I will do a search for the *.pfx and *.p12 files. I’ll let you know if I find them and if the user can still use them in Acrobat X.

Phillip

• 3. Re: Where are Digital ID's for Acrobat 7 and 8 located?
              EnterpriseHelp Adobe Employee

No biggie as long as you know you are in UnsupportedLand.

The digital IDs should work for any product version.

Ben

• 4. Re: Where are Digital ID's for Acrobat 7 and 8 located?
                MutantOne Level 1

That’s why we’re moving everyone to Acrobat X – to get them out of UnsupportedLand!

The users just want the stuff they did in the old versions to be available.

Phillip

• 5. Re: Where are Digital ID's for Acrobat 7 and 8 located?
                  MutantOne Level 1

Hi Ben,

Thanks. Your suggestion worked, though not in the way I expected. When I first searched for the .pfx or .p12 files, nothing showed up. I thought that perhaps when version X was installed and 8 was removed, it also deleted the original Digital IDs. However, the user had also complained that when he tried to create a new Digital ID, it wouldn't work. He would get a message about the passwords not matching. I asked him to show me what was going on and noticed that when he was creating a new ID, he only entered the password once. Once I corrected that, he was able to successfully create a new Digital ID. Just for grins, I searched for .pfx files again. Not only did the newly created .pfx file show up, but so did the old one (in  C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\8.0\Security\). Don't ask me why or how ('cause I don't know), but, apparently, the incompletely created .pfx file was preventing the display of even the previously created .pfx file. Anyway, he now has a working signature now, and I know what to tell other users to do.

Thanks again,

Phillip