So there are two ways of solving this issues.
The first one is to remove the extension through the Extension Manager and re-install it.
The second one is to clear Dreamwaver's cache. Its cache is kept in a file in its Configuration folder. That file name depends on OS:
- For Windows it is WinFileCache-<randomString>.dat
- For MAC it is MacFileCache-<randomString>.dat
Deleting of that file clears the cache. After restarting Dreamweaver is creating new one.Location of the cache file defers for each version and operating system.
Here is a list of locations depending on OS for Dreamweaver CS4
- Vista & 7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\<language>\Configuration
- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\<language>Configuration\
- MAC: MacHD : Users : <username> : Library : Application Support : Adobe : Dreamweaver CS4 : <language> : Configuration :
Note that folders AppData in Vista and Application Data in Win XP are normally hidden. In order to unhidden them you need to:
- Open new Windows Explorer window.
- Press Alt to reveal the text menu.
- Choose "Folder Options" from "Tools" menu. In the pop-up window go to "View" tab.
- In the list of options find "Hidden fles and folders" section and mark "Show hidden files and folders". Press ok to Apply the change and to cloce the pop-up.
For Windows XP:
- Same as for Vista except that you don't need to press Alt in order to reveal the text menu. It is always visible
Thank´s for your solution proposals. Before I got your answer I decided to reinstall DW from the scratch. And it worked.
But a much easier and more efficient solution surely would have been, to "remove the extension through the Extension Manager and re-install it" as you recommend.