• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is "What's this" help for 64-bit applications available in latest version of Robohelp?

Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We purchased Robohelp 9 recently. Before purchasing we called support to make sure context help ("what's this" help) is available for 64-bit applications. They told us that it's there. When we installed Robohelp 9, context help library for 64-bit applications was not there. We are thinking of returning the product. Has anybody come across this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Context sensitive help is supported in RH - that's when you're in your software & press F1 or click some help icon to launch your help and "land" at a specific page/place; are you talking about the old "What's This?" floating question mark type pop-up help? I haven't seen that used for quite a while - maybe Rick (Captiv8r) knows more about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the floating question mark or right clicking on any piece of GUI (push button, check-box, radio button, etc.) and selecing "what's this". Is that not available any more? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen anyone else report this and I don't have access to a 64 bit system to check. I think you may need to contact Adobe on this one.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Like Peter, I've not seen other reports. However, I'll temper this by saying that I'm on a 64 bit system and I do see an option for creating this type of help. I am aware of it and know how it works generically, but I've never created it and I am aware that it's fallen out of favor with Microsoft. So I am unsure of what "libraries" may be needed.

My own guess here is that support simply looked at RoboHelp and saw an ability to get at the What's this area of RoboHelp running on a 64 bit system and concluded that because it was there all was well.

Curiosity questiion here for alex-2012. Have you seen What's This help on any application running in 64 bit mode on a 64 bit system? Perhaps it's just a limitation of being in the 64 bit environment. I believe the ability for "What's This" is really governed by Microsoft. And since they have abandoned it, perhaps they never updated and distributed the supporting files needed on 64 bit machines. Just pondering that out loud a bit.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick - just curious, is that "What's This?" feature created in a chm SSL? I don't remember seeing it in any of the WebHelp recipe screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

I'm a bit fuzzy on how exactly it's all said and done. Basically, I'm aware that a text file is created and used. What's This is simply blocks of text verbiage that is presented when folks click the question mark, then click the object on the dialog they are curious about.

I'm unsure if things are compiled out to a format similar to CHM or exactly how it's implemented. I've never created it myself. I only have the "college level" understanding of it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My knowledge of this old technique is similar to Rick's. As Rick mentions this is very Microsoft-centric and it follows a format created back in the mid-1990's and development stopped. It uses a very non-conventional Text File for the actual topics. RoboHelp does have a What's This Composer whereby you run the application you are wanting to document and the Wizard helps you write the text topics and assigns Map IDs during the process. You find a bit of this

in a .CHM file which documents the What's This Composer along this install path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\WhatsThs

Look for the WhatsThs.chm file which explains.

There are some details of the process in the online help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/robohtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c571-7f38.html

Here is a URL for Rob Chandler's documentation of What's This help;

http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/how_to_whatsthis.htm

That said, I don't know the impact of 64-bitness on this 🙂

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp