7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 7:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Custom Frame Size

tmooney

I have some old HDV footage that I want to edit and I need to do some cropping and zooming on some of the images. Is their a way to set a custom frame size within one of the templates. It appears that the presets are all locked and you cannot change the settings. I would like to use a 960 x 540 frame size so I have some room to crop.

Also, I noticed on the output that their are no settings for a WMV. Does the windows codec need to be loaded seperate and if so were do you find it.

Using Elements 10 on a PC / Windows 7

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Custom Frame Size
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements is a video editing program and uses standard video aspect ratios: 4:3 and 16:9.

You can output to any size or dimensions, but the project itself must be one of the standard video sizes in the preset pack.

BTW, cropping in video is not the same as cropping a photo. When you crop a photo, you change its size and shape. When you crop a video, you only change the size and shape of the vide you're cropping. The size of the video frame itself does not change.

In other words, if you create a project that's 720x480, add a video to it and crop the video down to 360x240 -- your video project is still 720x480. Your cropped video will just float inside that frame.

• 2. Re: Custom Frame Size
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve has answered the Frame Size question, but for the WMV part, are you on Windows, or a Mac"

If on Windows, you should have the Windows CODEC's, but probably have not seen the little scroll bars in the Share Tab, that will reveal them. Those scroll bars are to the far-right, but are NOT that obvious.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Custom Frame Size
              tmooney Level 1

Thanks, that what I was looking for. You have to work within the preset frame sizes. I need to create some head room on these shots so I will just have to zoom in slightly and adjust. The final movie needs to be 960 wide so I figured I could squeeze all the shots back and render the timeline.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Custom Frame Size
                tmooney Level 1

I see it. I noticed that the H264 codec is not enabled. It's defaulting to DV. Does that have to be loaded separate from Quicktime?

I use PE at my house for some small things but I would like to export some of the stuff to ProRes to use in FCP.. Can PE export to ProRes?

Thanks again Bill

• 5. Re: Custom Frame Size
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The H.264 CODEC should show up with MOV and similar. It should NOT show up with Windows Media. Something is very wrong, if you have used those scroll bars, to choose Windows Media.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Custom Frame Size
                    tmooney Level 1

I found it. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Custom Frame Size
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

tmooney,

Great news!

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt