3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 7:03 AM by Mylenium

network farm setup?

cakmak52 Level 1

I will setup a network system so that I can make use of 20 computers on the network for AE renders... basic principal for rendering is to render into image sequences by skipping existing frames...

What kind of network setup should I be looking for so there wont be any bottleneck on the server where I will have all the resources to be rendered...???

Assuming all the computers have gigabit cards; having a 10gbe connection between the server and the switch and an Intel SSD on the server,, will it do the job???

Here are specs of my PCs:

18 x Dell Optiplex 380, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 Ghz, 8 GB RAM

1 x Dell Vostro 460, Intel i7, 8 GB RAM

1 x Dell Precision T3500, Quad core Xeon, 18 GB RAM

1 x Dell PowerEdge T100, Quad core Xeon, 2 GB RAM

I plan on having the source files to be rendered on the PowerEdge....

PS: given the specs above, is it worth to invest on the network as i can benefit from the network computers or should i simply buy another workstation to help render??

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: network farm setup?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Read some ponderings: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/991455?tstart=0

an Intel SSD on the server,, will it do the job???

Umm, no. You're not running a database server, you are running a file server. SSDs are only fast with small amounts of data, not huge media files. You will need a proper RAID 5 system. The network setup should not be a problem, but as in the thread I pointed you to, the key point is to isolate the render farm from your everyday stuff to avoid resource conflicts...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: network farm setup?
            cakmak52 Level 1

15K or 10K or 7200 HDD in RAID 5???

can u also tell from which will i benefit more: more average speed computers vs few fast computers???

• 3. Re: network farm setup?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The drive speed of the individual disks in a RAID is secondary. I/O throughput is determined by the number of disks, the host interface and the number of controller channels that can be combined to form the RAID. Invest money in a proper hardware RAID SATA 6G controller/ motherboard, then plug-in whatever disks you can afford - ideally all of the same size and make. The rest of your question is not easy to answer and will ultimately only end up in the same dancing around like questions regarding multiprocessing - for one kind of project one setup may work best, for otehrs another. This will depend a lot on wheter you only render simple stuff that even weaker machines can render reasonably fast or heavy comps that only your most powerful machines can handle whiel the lesser ones will be skipped or take so long that they barely contribute....

Mylenium