15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 6:53 AM by SAFEHARBOR11

Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's

Nathanjrb Level 1

Hi,

I've got a dance show that I have edited and now need to put into a DVD. I have a couple of questions I need answering so would really appreciate a little help

The show is in two halves - first half and second half (duh lol). Do I need to put each half into a separate sequence and then open in Encore, or do I just have it as one long sequence?

I've figured out there are Encore Chapter Markers, which I've set accordingly - is there anything different I need to do when it comes to two halves?

Thanks for your help!

Nath

• 1. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you dynamic link, the halves need to be in separate sequences. Each whole sequence becomes an asset in Encore.

• 2. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
            Nathanjrb Level 1

Thanks for your reply Stan.

What do you mean by 'dynamic link'?

Cheers!

• 4. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
              Nathanjrb Level 1

Thanks, I'll check them out!

• 5. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Stanley. I would put each on a separate Sequence.

I do the same, but edit "scenes," or "chapters," to a separate Sequence, and each becomes a Timeline in Encore.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
                  Nathanjrb Level 1

Oh, so you put each SCENE into a sequence? Surely that'd mean I ended up with about 30-40 sequences? What are the benefits of doing it your way?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
                    davo56

Hi

I've just finished a concert with same situation.

I used one sequence and took it to Encore via 'dynamic link'.

In Encore I then used 3 menus:

1. Dance Show title plus two buttons (one for each half) leading to the other two menus.

2. First Half with buttons leading to each chapter (each dance piece)

3. Second Half with buttons leading to each chapter

Hope this helps

Norman

• 8. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
                      Nathanjrb Level 1

Ah great, thanks for the advice Norman

• 9. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's

If I understand, Norman, there are only 2 buttons on the main menu? Normally, you would also  have a "play all" button that plays the whole event.

An important decision is whether, when you select a scene by a chapter button, it will return to the menu after the scene plays. If you are **** it "hollywood" style, the rest of the whole movie plays following that scene. For continuious events, that works, and is the easy way. Getting it to return to the menu is one of the reasons for making many sequences.

Since Nath presented it as 2 halves, I assumed he wants them to play separately, whatever else he does with being able to go to a particular scene directly.

• 10. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
                          Nathanjrb Level 1

So long as it is presented as two halves it shouldn't really matter. I don't really need a 'play all' button to play both halves in one go, although that would be useful.

The DVD would load up

The user has an option of selecting the first or second half.

Say you click the first half, then you get taken to a page where there are chapters displaying the first half scenes only. A button would then take you back to the main menu where you could go into the second half.

I suppose it would be good if you could just play both halves in one go though. It would save you having to go back to the main menu at the end of the first half?

• 11. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
                            SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Nath,

Not sure I'm following the workflow. I've been doing plays and recitals for 20 years, and while some do have an "intermission", it's all one show really so there are no "halves" - to the DVD viewer, it is one continuous show thanks to seamless editing. The whole thing is edited in one Sequence, and then exported using AME, with chapter markers for each dance. The resultant MPEG-2 file then comes into Encore. Or one could also Dynamic Link direct from Premiere to Encore.

Anyway, the main menu in Encore might have two buttons - "Play All" and "Chapter Menus", the latter providing a few pages with buttons for each individual dance number. Regardless of the starting point, the entire show then plays from that point on, why have it stop in the middle? If the viewer needs a bathroom break, they have a pause button. There is ONE video clip, with chapter marks the only thing breaking it up.

If you had edited the two halves as two sequences, you could Copy/Paste the contents of Sequence 2 onto end of Sequence 1 and have one complete show before exporting. Your choice though.

Jeff Pulera

• 12. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
                              Nathanjrb Level 1

Thanks for your reply Jeff!

What is AME? (Sorry I'm still quite new to Premier Pro and this is the first time I've used Encore)

Can you export the footage and then just open it seperately in Encore? Or is it just easier to Dynamic Link?

I think I'm going to just do this in one sequence, as it seems the easiest way. So long as there are chapter markers to each dance it shouldn't really matter if they're in two halves or not, I agree.

• 13. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's

Much of this is personal preference or the characteristics of the particular program. And for most of us, the client's preference!

You can use a play all or not. For a long program, I like having it in 2 halves. But this is a dance event. Do the halves mean anything? Or was there just an intermission? If I watch it all at once, will I want the intermission?

But let's assume the 2 halves as the presentation method you pick. The navigation you described omits a "play first half" and "play second half" buttons. My main menu would have such buttons, plus a button for individual dance selection. I might not differentiate on that dance selection submenu between the first and second half. If there were no more than 17 dances, I might put them all on one menu. (For widescreen DVD, you have a max of 18 buttons per menu. I need one to get back to the main menu.) But probably you need 2 or 3 submenus.

To go back to the multiple sequence route, and to illustrate the alternative, each dance would be its own sequence in PR, dynamic linked into Encore or exported/imported, where it is its own timeline. The submenu buttons link to a single dance. Playlists combine sequences into each half, or the whole disk, or other combinations.

Lots of ways to skin this cat!

• 14. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's

it's all one show really so there are no "halves"

No disagreement with any of this. The main variable is that some users/clients have a preference for being able to play a chapter that returns to a menu. That drives a very different navigation.

• 15. Re: Chapter marker help and two-part DVD's
                                    SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Nath,

AME = Adobe Media Encoder. From Premiere, make sure your Sequence is selected, then use File > Export > Media and this launches AME. Maybe I'm old school, but I prefer the control I have using AME directly versus Dynamic Link which is more "auto pilot". I think what I like is that if I encode my Sequence to "MPEG-2 for DVD" prior to opening Encore, then Encore doesn't have to encode the video, which means once my menus are done, I can have a proof DVD in hand in literally minutes! I'm usually ready for a break when completing an edit, so then is a good time for me to encode, then I come at the DVD authoring fresh and have no wait for encoding in that process.

The only catch with manually encoding the DVD content is to get the correct encoding rate so it all fits the disc. I use the formula 560/minutes=rate, so for instance 560/120=4.66 and I just round down a bit to 4.5 to allow for any overhead.

In AME, choose "MPEG-2 for DVD" for format and for the preset, choose what is appropriate to your footage, for instance "NTSC Widescreen High Quality". Then under the VIDEO tab, you can choose CBR or VBR (Constant or Variable Bit Rate) and set the bit rate according to program length. Google CBR and VBR because I know that will be the next question. I prefer CBR unless program is very long.

This will Export TWO files - an .m2v for video, and .wav for audio. Any chapter marks in Premiere are written to other files, but you need not worry about those. In Encore, start a new DVD project, then use File > Import > As Timeline and just multi-select both the .m2v and .wav files. They will import to a timeline, with chapter marks included!

When you finally build the project, the .wav audio is by default converted to Dolby Digital, which is much smaller than .wav, so if you are adding the sizes of the .m2v and .wav and think "they won't fit the disc", the audio compression should fix that if you encoded at the correct rate.

As mentioned, the nice thing is that when you Build, you will see the progress bar Transcoding Audio, but not video, so it goes VERY quickly, just a couple of minutes to build a 2-hour DVD unless you have complex motion menus to render.

Hope I'm not adding more confusion, go ahead and use Dynamic Link if that is most comfortable for you, but good to know how to use AME as well.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers