5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 7:17 AM by Steve Grisetti

Picture distorted when playback using elements 9 why?

Mark Nash1977

In Australia using a standard definition JVC camera I dropped the video files onto my desktop and uploaded the avi files using premiere elements 9. General settings I selected for my project was dv capture and PAL widescreen. When I playback the video clips using elements the picture is distorted. Why and what am I doing wrong? cheers Mark

• 1. Re: Picture distorted when playback using elements 9 why?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, for one thing you should not have used the DV project settings. Unless your camcorder is a miniDV camcorder.

Is it a tape-based miniDV camcorder? And did you capture this video using Premiere Elements over a FireWire connection?

Is your video standard 4:3 or widescreen?

And, if it's not miniDV footage, what resolution is the video?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Picture distorted when playback using elements 9 why?
            Mark Nash1977 Level 1

Hi Steve, Thanks for taking the time to help me out, much appreciated. I transferred the video file using a usb cable (supplied with camera) from JVC camera (GZ - MS215S model) to computer. Why do you need to use a firewire cable to transfer video? Which capture setting should I have chosen? I do I check what resolution is the video? Cheers

• 3. Re: Picture distorted when playback using elements 9 why?

The reason I mentioned FireWire is because that is the only way to get a true DV-AVI from a camcorder -- but that only works if your camcorder is a tape-based mini-DV, which is not your case.

You need to set up your Premiere Elements project using the settings for a Hard Disk Camcorder, standard definition. (You don't say if your video was shot in 4:3 or widescreen, but you must select the proper preset for it too.)

Then you should attach your camcorder to your computer with  a USB cable and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip AVCHD or Hard Disk Camera to import the video from the camcorder to your project.

Finally, JVC Everio footage sometimes does not come in at the proper aspect ratio. In that case, right-click on the video in the Project panel and select Interpret Footage to set the footage so that it appears widescreen on your timeline.

If you follow these steps to properly set up your project, you should get excellent results.

• 4. Re: Picture distorted when playback using elements 9 why?
                Mark Nash1977 Level 1

HI Steve, Thanks for your support will make necessary changes and fingers cross. I was looking to buy the book muvipix.com guide to adobe premiere elements 9 color from an Australian online bookstore but had no luck. Do you have any suggestions? Just want to show my appreciation for your help. Thanks Mark

• 5. Re: Picture distorted when playback using elements 9 why?

Please send me a private message and I will arrange to have a book shipped to you, Mark. (You can do this under the Your Stuff menu at the top of this web page.)

Thanks for your interest!