7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 2:02 PM by RjL190365

    OpenCL on Mac Pro 2010?

    DMHP Level 1

      Lots of talk from NAB this morning about some AMD cards now working w OpenCL and 6.0. I'm currently using a GTX-285 Nvidia which works fine under CUDA, but have my ATI Radeon 5870 1 GB on the shelf as back up. Top of the line when I bought my Mac Pro 2010. Any word yet if: 1. This is true?  2. If 5870 will work?

        • 1. Re: OpenCL on Mac Pro 2010?
          medeamajic Level 2

          I think Open CL might only be for Macs but who knows for sure?

          • 2. Re: OpenCL on Mac Pro 2010?
            TradeWind Level 3

            medeamajic wrote:

             

            I think Open CL might only be for Macs but who knows for sure?

            Check the thread title....he/she has a Mac

            • 3. Re: OpenCL on Mac Pro 2010?
              TradeWind Level 3

              It is true that Adobe has announced upcoming support for two OpenCL GPUs but they are not the one you have. Whether or not your ATI card would work using the GPU "hack" found elsewhere on these boards is unknown as of this time. It's unlikely that your ATI card will ever be directly listed as a supported card since it's a few years old but again, once we get past the release date and people have a chance to fiddle with it, we may find that the "hack" works similarly for OpenCL cards as it does for CUDA cards.

              • 4. Re: OpenCL on Mac Pro 2010?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

                Supported configuration for OpenCL GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro CS6 is exactly and only this:

                 

                "GPU processing (Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration) extended to use OpenCL on some systems: AMD Radeon HD 6750M and AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics card with 1GB VRAM in MacBook Pro computers running Mac OSX v10.7"

                • 5. Re: OpenCL on Mac Pro 2010?
                  medeamajic Level 2

                  Christian Jolly wrote:

                   

                  medeamajic wrote:

                   

                  I think Open CL might only be for Macs but who knows for sure?

                  Check the thread title....he/she has a Mac

                  I know they have a Mac. I was tossing it out there so the Adobe team could maybe confirm or even deny that Open CL is for Mac only. Todd has done just that. I know many PC users want the Open CL supportso they can use their ATI cards. I myself have a $75.00 GT 240 and it works great.

                  • 6. Re: OpenCL on Mac Pro 2010?
                    RjL190365 Level 5

                    medeamajic wrote:

                     


                    I know they have a Mac. I was tossing it out there so the Adobe team could maybe confirm or even deny that Open CL is for Mac only. Todd has done just that. I know many PC users want the Open CL supportso they can use their ATI cards. I myself have a $75.00 GT 240 and it works great.

                    Actually, the GT 240 is considered a CUDA card for the purposes of CS5/6 (after the .txt file hack). However, since CS5.5, the GT 240 is now a case of "penny-wise, pound-foolish": It is cheap, but (especially when equipped with slow DDR3 RAM instead of the faster and more desirable DDR5 RAM) is also significantly slower than cards that cost a few dollars more. This is because starting with CS5.5, CUDA-accelerated functions, including resizing during encodes, is impacted significantly with the number of CUDA cores and the throughput of the GPU's RAM.

                    • 7. Re: OpenCL on Mac Pro 2010?
                      RjL190365 Level 5

                      DMHP wrote:

                       

                      Lots of talk from NAB this morning about some AMD cards now working w OpenCL and 6.0. I'm currently using a GTX-285 Nvidia which works fine under CUDA, but have my ATI Radeon 5870 1 GB on the shelf as back up. Top of the line when I bought my Mac Pro 2010. Any word yet if: 1. This is true?  2. If 5870 will work?

                      As Todd stated, only the HD 6750M and HD 6770M GPUs with 1GB of RAM inside current-model MacBook Pros (Intel Sandy Bridge CPU-based) are supported in MPE's OpenCL GPU acceleration at this time. The desktop HD 5870 will not be officially supported at all, nor will it ever be officially supported because it's a bit too old. As for making the HD 5870 usable with MPE GPU acceleration, that's an unknown at this time since we do not know which hacks are needed. Support for OpenCL MPE GPU acceleration in the Windows version of PPro CS6 will not be included at launch, but may be added in a future update.