4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2012 3:14 PM by Joel Cherney

Numbers Inversion

AmeenAXCF

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a document in Arabic that contains a lot of numbers. There's no problem with these numbers when they are one-digit numbers only.
      However, the problem occurs when a number consists of more than one digit, where it becomes inverted automatically!
      For example, if I type the number 24 (twenty-four), InDesign displays it as 42 (forty-two).
      I guess that this problem has to do with the paragraph styles or character styles, although I've set the following settings in the paragraph styles:

Advanced Character Format --> Language: Arabic

Middle East Character Format --> Digits: Arabic, Character Direction: Right To Left

Indents and Spacing --> Paragraph Direction: Right To Left

Also, I've tried changing the font type. Nevertheless, nothing changed!

Could anyone guide me?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Numbers Inversion
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not a user of InDesign ME - I use World Tools instead, so I may not be familiar with the menus you are using. But your "Middle East Character Format" should have "Character Direction: Default" because the Paragraph Direction should be Right to Left for Arabic, but numerals should flow left-to-right. It sounds like you have applied an overt right-to-left character direction to the entire paragraph, which is incorrect. If you can roll back to "default" for the character-level setting, then simply having a RTL text flow for the paragraph direction + a specification of Arabic for the language, then you should be okay.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Numbers Inversion
            AmeenAXCF Level 1

Thank you so much for your help. I don't know why it hadn't come to my mind that I had to try this.

Thanks a lot.

• 3. Re: Numbers Inversion
              AmeenAXCF Level 1

Now the answer has helped me. Nevertheless, now if you type a number followed by a dash, the dash will be displayed before that number!

For example, if you type "1- bla bla bla...", it will be displayed as "-1 bla bla bla..."!

Any tip?

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Numbers Inversion
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hm... depends on what you want. Are you typing with an Arabic keyboard turned on? Or a Latin-script keyboard? If you need to key in, say, a phone number, I would make a character style with LTR text flow and apply that to the whole number. If you are keying in a range in Arabic ("There are 10-20 different ways to get what you want") then the hyphen is in fact pointing in the correct direction.  The Arabic would look like ths:

tnaw uoy wahw teg ot syaw tnereffid 20-10 era erehT

So, while an individual number is LTR, the dashes are RTL. Does this make sense?