4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 6:20 PM by shooternz

Batch transcode project media?

Andrew Gingerich Level 1

I've been cutting a project in native AVCHD (.MTS files shot on the Sony FS100), with the intention of conforming the media used in my finished sequences to DPX files for grading in Resolve Lite (Resolve 8 can't handle .MTS files natively). My question now is: how the heck to I get my sequences out of Premiere and into Resolve? I'm a little new to Premiere, so I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something obvious…

In FCP7, it's a simple task to open up media manager and transcode the project media to a different format, omitting unused media and adding handles to the clips, if desired. Try as I might, I can't find a way to achieve this in Premiere.

The only way I can see to get my edit into Resolve is to export the sequence as a single file and use Resolve's scene cut detector to split apart the shots. This is less than ideal for a number of reasons—I have to move all my video down into a single track and strip out all the transitions, for instance, and because the shots have no handles, cross-dissolves represent a logistical nightmare.

Is there another way?

• 1. Re: Batch transcode project media?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

If you can hold out a week or two and plan to upgrade to CS6, you will have the integrated option of coloring in SpeedGrade, a professional grader comparable to the full version of Resolve.

• 2. Re: Batch transcode project media?
            Andrew Gingerich Level 1

I would very much like that (and I would very much like to believe that CS6 is coming out in a week or two rather than a month or two). I plan to upgrade to CS6 as soon as it is released, but am I trapped inside a walled garden until that happens?

Also, just for the sake of argument, let's say that version 1 of SpeedGrade is a real stinker (or let's say that I simply prefer Resolve or Apple Color or another product). Is there any way to do what I'm trying to accomplish, short of going through my bin, exporting all the clips one-by-one and then manually reconforming them into a new sequence? If Premiere can't handle it internally, is there any third-party software that might help me out here?

• 3. Re: Batch transcode project media?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Someone else will have to chime in on that one.  I've never used an external program for grading.

• 4. Re: Batch transcode project media?
                shooternz Level 6

Andrew.

The only glitch in your workflow is the inability of Resolve to use .mts files natively.

This adds to the complication of what can be a  reasonably normal NLE to external CC application (via an xml export of the project.).  You can use an intermediate if you choose.

It is an issue for me  as well but I cover it by shooting to an external recorder simulateneously ( avch on the sd card and prores on the Samurai ssd)

Speedgrade has addressed this and it will be great ( fingers crossed).

Checkout the CS6 to Speedgrade workflow that has been posted up by Adobe.