• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Captivate work with Tin Can API? Yes it does!

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I don't know if you've been following the progress of Project Tin Can and the Tin Can API, but if not you can find out more here:

http://scorm.com/tincan/

You may be thinking - that's great but Captivate doesn't publish for Tin Can.

Well, I'm here to tell you about a litle project that aims to allow you to take Captivate swfs and drop them into a Tin Can package that will communicate with the LRS. I've so far developed a proof of concept - a Captivate swf that reports to a TIn Can LRS and also successfully bookmarks. Its far from being a finished product and there's a lot of stuff like hard coded variables and missing functionality, but the basics are there.

You can download the proof of concept here: http://tin-can-can.googlecode.com/files/poc.zip

The project is called Tin-can-Can and is hosted at http://tin-can-can.googlecode.com

I need your help to get it finished and make it awesome - whatever your skillset.

It would be great ot have help with developing the javascript, but if you can't do Javascript I'd love you to get invovled too.

I also need people who can test the wrapper, help to build the documentation wiki, design a logo, manage the code responsitory, publicise the project, give and collect feedback from users, make/organise/implement suggestions etc. etc.

If you'd like to be involved, visit the project site for my email address and send me a mail explaining what you can and would like to do.

Feel free to shoot me any questions about the project. Send any questions about Tin Can API generically to the guys at http://scorm.com/tincan/

@garemoko

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great news.  So I'm assuming that Adobe didn't get in touch with Rustici regarding implementing the Tin Can API?  Are you with Rustici?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I'm not with Rustici - I'm just a mortal Captivate user! I've made use of the information, guidance and prototypes that Rustici have published and they've also been very helpful providing email advise as I've been working on this.

As for your first question, you might have guessed that sicne I;m not with Rustici or Captivate, its not my place to comment on that but it wouldn't surpirse me if Adobe do build Tin can into a future release of Captivate. The point of Tin-Can-Can is that it's something we can work on now, that could work with swfs published from current and older versions of Captivate. Having something we can engage with now, when Tin Can is still in development allows Captivate users to try Tin Can out as it develops and contribute to the dicsussion of how it can be used.

One of the things I plan to do (once the wrapper is complete in terms of translating Captivate Scorm functionality into Tin Can) is takes things further with additional Javascript functions and Flash widgets that can be used to, for example, send custom statements to the LRS. I think there's a whole range of things we could do, and i can see the project building a whole library of functionaity that the Captivate user will be able to harness.

If you're interested in being invovled, I'd love to have you.

@garemoko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Just to let you know, I've now created a wiki at http://www.tincanapi.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page for everythign related to the tin can api.

@garemoko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey - tried to follow the wiki link and it didn't work. Is the tin can can project still active?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chip,

I'm having massive problems with my host (123reg) these last 2 days and being at work, haven't had time to sort it. The site will be back up over the weekend, even if I have to change host.

The code is still up on github at https://github.com/garemoko

I'll probably move the whole site across to Github pages this weekend

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,My host are still being rubbish so I've re-written the site in static HTML, moved it across to Github and re-pointed the DNS. All the good content is not available again, but in a nicer and mobile friendlier format. http://www.tincanapi.co.uk

The downside is that all of the urls have changed for the individual pages so any existing links to specific pages will get a lovely custom 404 error and need to be changed to point to the new location.

Andrew

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 06:08:44 +0000

Subject: Re: Does Captivate work with Tin Can API? Yes it does!

To: jive-1551209535-xnlx-2-30rgx@mail.forums.adobe.com

Hi chip,

I'm having massive problems with my host (123reg) these last 2 days and being at work, haven't had time to sort it. The site will be back up over the weekend, even if I have to change host.

The code is still up on github at https://github.com/garemoko

I'll probably move the whole site across to Github pages this weekend

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this work with Captivate 6 also.  I was using 5.x and reporting to an internal server with some customized code that I had gotten elsewhere and modified.  Apparently, HTML output is disabled if I am reporting to an internal server, but it supports SCORM.  I am either going to have to implement SCORM reporting and see if I can use something like Tin Can.  I want to generate HTML5 output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've only tested with 5.0 but please do try it with 6 and let me know.

If you're doing it with html 5 output, the code will need some tweaking (or re-writing). If you follow the tutorial at tincanapi.co.uk you might be able to make something that works. Let me know if you get stuck and I'll see if I can help.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Andrew

Great Project. I guess it could still be used.

For those who are looking for new ways to host these Tin Can packages, including the Tin Can packages created using Captivate 7. You can now host Tin Can on Wordpress with a simple plugin here: GrassBlade xAPI Companion

- Pankaj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources